Tarf Hotel

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

Tarf Hotel

Post by Blair512 »

I've a few days holiday to use up before the end of the year so I've managed to bag myself a couple of long weekends next month. How easy is it to get to the Tarf Hotel from Blairathol? It looks like a fairly easy track up Glen Tilt and then not so good for the last couple of miles.

Basically is it a daft idea for mid November?
padonbike

Re: Tarf Hotel

Post by padonbike »

Yep you're basically right: 15 miles from Old Blair. The last 2 miles from the pony shack drag a bit on foot as it's a poor path and peaty terrain. Pushing a bike would be a hassle but far from impossible. Allow up to an hour for this last stretch.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Blair there's a wee trail report on biking to Tarf hotel on mountain bothies Scotland fb page. Looks like they left their bikes short of the bothy.
BaM 2021
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm in :-bd Always fancied this
My thought was to keep on climbing up the double track right up to the top of Braigh coire na conlaich and drop down from there. I guess I'd always though to do it in spring snow conditions so it would be an easy ride down the hillside.....
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Thanks chaps, may very well give it a bash!
htrider wrote:I'm in :-bd Always fancied this
My thought was to keep on climbing up the double track right up to the top of Braigh coire na conlaich and drop down from there.
Happy for you to tag along if you want Phil, I'm planning a Friday lunchtime departure from Blair Atholl, possibly heading up the Geldie and down to Ruigh Aiteachain for the evening on the the Saturday. The idea is to travel a bit heavier and enjoy myself. There will without doubt be a bottle of whisky involved!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

What weekend you planning on Blair?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I'm thinking Friday 9th of November to set off from Blair Atholl Ray but I'm also free Friday the 23rd if that suits folks better and they want to come along.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I won't commit but if I do come it'll be sat only and I'll make own way and meet you at the bothy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hoping to hit Speyside on the 10th, could do the 23rd but prefer just the sat / sun - could meet you in the tarf on sat eve?
No worries if that doesn't suit :grin:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

This is turning into a wee meet. I’d be up for it too, unsure about dates but we shall see.

I passed by Ruigh Aiteachan a couple of weeks ago and it’s looking pretty special. The upstairs is lovely, wood panelled with a picture hanging in the stairway.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Blair, sorry not going to make it. Got roped into driving the horsebox without being asked if I was free!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

All good Ray, I'm not going to make it either. Forgot to book my train tickets and now I can't get my bike on. I'm now trying to come up with something a touch more local but I was looking forward to an evening or 2 in a bothy