Loch Awe to Ben Nevis - anyone done it?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Paul S

Loch Awe to Ben Nevis - anyone done it?

Post by Paul S »

Hi all,

Just joined the forum as it was recommended by the UK Gravel Bike Club (Facebook).

My initial reason for joining is to ask for everyone's thoughts on a charity event I'm planning for next year.

We'll be canoeing the length of Loch Awe, cycling to the foot of Ben Nevis, then climbing Nevis. All in 36 hours - at least that's the plan...

I'm at the research stage and I'm told this is the place to get advice on the bike leg - has anyone done it?

It's 91km by a rough calculation, on the A85/A82.

Any thoughts or tips much appreciated!

Paul
touch

Re: Loch Awe to Ben Nevis - anyone done it?

Post by touch »

I would avoid the A82 as much as possible and go via A828. It should be slightly shorter but has a bit more climbing. The A828 is much quieter than the A82.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you finish at North Port (By Kilchrenan on the west shore of loch Awe, near the top) You can follow the B845 to taynult then the C road to Connel bridge which NCN78 uses. From Connel to Ballachulish bridge rejoin NCN 78 which is nearly all off road on good cycleway. Ballachulish to the Corran ferry is on a not very good cycleway - basically the roadside footway which has been widened a bit. From Corran to Fort Bill the A82 is pretty crap (scenic tho) so if you can engineer getting the Corran ferry, riding up the west side of Loch Linnie and managing to catch the infrequent camasnagaul ferry to Fort Bill, it is much nicer.

There is a good off road option too but might be tight within 36 hours
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

From the North End of Loch Awe you can follow NCN78 all the way to Corran, across Loch Linnhe, up the East side and back across to Fort William via the ferry at Camasnagaul. The latter only has a few runs per day but the guys who run it are very friendly and flexible and they may well be able to accommodate you. As said, the A82 is unpleasant in places, though many cyclists still choose to use it as it is direct.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Thanks to all that have replied - sorry I've not acknowledged sooner (hadn't enabled notifications in my emails #-O!).

Useful info and it seems avoiding the A82 is best option.

We'd be starting from Kilchurn Castle so likely need to use the A85 to get onto the NCN78. Looking at the path of the 78, continuing on the A85 it would be a shorter route to Connel - what would be the downside of taking that option?

I'll admit I hadn't considered ferries in the mix which would add a bit of time pressure if they're not that frequent, but if the overall ride time is similar and it's more scenic I guess it's worth it.

We'd likely be setting off around 7-8am with a view to getting to the foot of Ben Nevis by 3pm latest, so hopefully this is realistic
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Paul S wrote:We'd be starting from Kilchurn Castle so likely need to use the A85 to get onto the NCN78. Looking at the path of the 78, continuing on the A85 it would be a shorter route to Connel - what would be the downside of taking that option?
Not the busiest of Trunk roads by any stretch of the imagination and if you avoid bank holidays and holiday season its fine. That said the wee road that NCN 78 takes is very pleasant.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Cheers, we're looking at July next year so it would be holiday season, but planning a weekday to avoid traffic as much as possible.