Galloway gravel circular route ??

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Stumpym4

Galloway gravel circular route ??

Post by Stumpym4 »

Have a few days off next month, fancy taking the gravel bike to scotland and galloway looks like it could be suitable for the bike and camping gear :)
Any route suggestions please ?
what the midges like in September ?
Thanks
fatbikephil

Re: Galloway gravel circular route ??

Post by fatbikephil »

Thought the Borders lot would have been on this by now! :mrgreen:
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zgeqtutawmxpluzi details my bike friendly Southern Upland Way route from Stranraer to Moffat. I'd be doubtful about doing it on a gravel bike in its entirety so maybe do selected double track highlights? Or if you want a circuit, start at Moffat, follow this route backwards as far as Clatteringshaws loch. The bit up the Garroch water after Ae is pretty rough so maybe think of doing the back roads instead. Also miss out the bit up Lowther as this is defo not for a gravel bike unless you are OK with a long walk. Instead Head up the roman road north east from Durisdeer to the A702, north on this then west on the B7040/797 back to Wanlockhead then rejoin the route.

From Clatteringshaws follow the raiders road south east then the track / back road on the west shore of Loch Ken down to you Castle Douglas. Then you can either follow NCN 7 then 10 back to Ae or else with a bit of imagination you can head down to Dalbeatie and follow a route through Dalbeatie forest, the next forest east that climbs up west of Criffel hill, Mabie forest and then Dumfries then NCN 10 back to Ae.

If this is a bit much there is a lot of gravel road stuff in Glentrool forest and you can add in the Raiders Road and NVN 7 down past Loch Grannoch as well.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

htrider wrote:Thought the Borders lot would have been on this by now! :mrgreen:
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zgeqtutawmxpluzi details my bike friendly Southern Upland Way route from Stranraer to Moffat. I'd be doubtful about doing it on a gravel bike in its entirety so maybe do selected double track highlights? Or if you want a circuit, start at Moffat, follow this route backwards as far as Clatteringshaws loch. The bit up the Garroch water after Ae is pretty rough so maybe think of doing the back roads instead. Also miss out the bit up Lowther as this is defo not for a gravel bike unless you are OK with a long walk. Instead Head up the roman road north east from Durisdeer to the A702, north on this then west on the B7040/797 back to Wanlockhead then rejoin the route.

From Clatteringshaws follow the raiders road south east then the track / back road on the west shore of Loch Ken down to you Castle Douglas. Then you can either follow NCN 7 then 10 back to Ae or else with a bit of imagination you can head down to Dalbeatie and follow a route through Dalbeatie forest, the next forest east that climbs up west of Criffel hill, Mabie forest and then Dumfries then NCN 10 back to Ae.

If this is a bit much there is a lot of gravel road stuff in Glentrool forest and you can add in the Raiders Road and NVN 7 down past Loch Grannoch as well.
Cheers for this , ill have a look over the next few days, also have a plus bike with 3 inch rubber so i could always use that instead :)
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

How long a route are you looking for?

Not finally ridden my own gravel extravaganza route yet as been laid up with a kidney stone :sad:
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

restlessshawn wrote:How long a route are you looking for?

Not finally ridden my own gravel extravaganza route yet as been laid up with a kidney stone :sad:
Maybe 60 - 120 miles, ill be riding a good 2 days possibly 3 .... found a couple of routes , the Galloway gallop has 2 routes of varying distance , may combine those