Glen Clova to Glen Esk

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

Glen Clova to Glen Esk

Post by journeyman »

I'm planning some autumn fun based on an expanded Cairngorm loop - can anyone recommend a route they have done from Glen Clova to to Glen Esk?

My arm chair route-plan is via Loch Brandy into Glen Esk - which I walked many years ago. I remember that the going is steep but the route across the top being really good. The plan is then to go over Mount Keen, then back into the loop via Gairnside and Glen Avon.

Ill be coming over Jock's Road before Clova, so any info about that on a bike would be welcome - again I've only walked it and I remember the headwall out of Glen Callater being a tad steep.

Any advice or recommended sections in this area would be welcome - I can take the steep HAB!
fatbikephil

Re: Glen Clova to Glen Esk

Post by fatbikephil »

I've done Jocks road south to north and the descent into Glen Callater was a walk. Doing it north to south will be a bit better as the descent into Glen Doll will be a hoot - ultra techy in places but doable ish. The climb out of Callater will be a brute - an alternative is to go up the path east of Callater stables (big climb) and then follow this towards Lochnagar descending down to Glen muik via the Glas alt shiel path which is another gem. Alternatively after the climb onto the ridge you can turn SE to link up with the top of the Jocks road pass via Fafernie and the Knaps of fafernie

Glen Clova to Glen esk is a route I have pondered many times but never got round to doing - I think the paths up to Green Hill from the back of the Clova hotel / Wheen do go but = another monster climb. I've never done it but the route over Muckle Cairn is indeed supposed to be fine but the descent into Glen Esk I'm not so sure about - check out the Os 1:25k maps and the bing aerials - I think there is a way to link with the track from Burnt hill to Cairncaidloch and down to Glen effock lodge.

The mounth road over Mt Keen is a beaut - I'd avoid the summit cone and follow the trail along the west Flank. The section of the mounth road from Glen Tanar over to Ballater does go but is better the other way as its a nice rocky / boggy single track descent. South to north this will be a bit of a push and the descent a big track.

Download the Deeside trail route (discussed recently elsewhere on the site as this gives a few options to linking back to Ballater from glen Tanar and a nice way up lower glen gairn avoiding most of the main road.

Look forward to the write up!
journeyman

Re: Glen Clova to Glen Esk

Post by journeyman »

Thanks Phil, useful info. Will write it up - (ive got to now!). Johnny