Downs Link. Wey South Path.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Downs Link. Wey South Path.

Post by Rasta »

I am thinking about doing a loop from the South Coast (Shoreham), up to Guildford on the Downs Link Path, bivi for the night, back via the Wey South Path and along the South Downs Way for a short stretch, to finish.

Can anyone help?
A good bivi spot or area near Guildford? I'll use a hammock, so a steep wooded hillside is fine.
Anyone done the Wey South Path? Guildford to Amberley (on the SDW). It is a canal (disused) path. Are bikes allowed?

I have done the Downs Link a few times (disused railway), so I am fine with that trail. Shoreham section is closed at the moment for construction.

Cheers.
Notslugabed

Re: Downs Link. Wey South Path.

Post by Notslugabed »

Nearest to Guildford is probably a spot just off the NDW in the Chantries, its wooded and fairly steep. Its popular with dog walkers though and there are a few houses about. The rest of the Chantries is for walkers only, although I've seen plenty of cyclists there. :wink:
No idea about the wey south path but would be interested in what you find.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks Slug.

On Goog Earth I can see Chantry Wood, 1 mile SE of Guildford.
Notslugabed

Post by Notslugabed »

That's the place.The North Downs Way carries on east towards St. Marthas. There is a council run campsite (rarely used, its just a field) at east end of Chantries nearish to the road. There is a working tap, possibly two, in the field. There's been a hammock hanging between a couple of trees near one tap for months now if you fancy travelling very light!