Clarendon Way. Salisbury to Winchester?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Clarendon Way. Salisbury to Winchester?

Post by Rasta »

I am going to do the South Downs Way this week. There are supposed to be some thunderstorms arriving so I want to be out for that.

I have done the SDW many times before but this time I want to extend the route. I have heard that the Clarendon Way, Salisbury to Winchester, is well sign posted and no maps/gps are needed. Can anyone confirm this?

I will only take my phone with Maps.Me on it. I may buy an OS map if needed.

Are there any further extensions that can be recommended? But nothing that requires me to buy an etrex and stare at it the whole way.

Thanks.
Rasta

Re: Clarendon Way. Salisbury to Winchester?

Post by Rasta »

South West train strikes this week.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I have ridden Salisbury to Winchester not sure if its the Clarendon Way though.
Its mostly the old roman road with some interesting off road stretches one of which is on a 'no cyclists' path by a classic chalk trout stream.
The arrival in Winchester is via Old Salem Road and climb out is brutal - well it was evening rush hour and raining - and just as you get to the SDW start its walkers only unless you can lift your bike above head height. Cyclists have to drop down to the A34 head north on a path then up a side road until the walker path joins.
I have a gpx if you want it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I rode Salisbury plains and onto Devises and canal links last summer. Carried on along coast path and sustrans for a week till at Eden Project. Highly recommended it.
Sarah
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

With the train strikes, I will be lucky if I can get to Sailsbury. To Winchester is unaffected.

I want to avoid gpx.ing and maybe just go for it.

The walkers route out of Winchester is interesting. I don't know the laws but I have been told that -
It is a public bridleway. To stop cyclists, a bylaw has to be passed and posted each end of the section. The sign I saw last year and the years before had no 'authority' to stop cyclists.
Also, it passes along a field not a path with a fence on each side, which makes riding there a civil offence with the land owner.
I have been told that it is not an official restriction but an attempt by the dog walkers to allow their dogs to poop in peace.

The bypass is really bad and I won't be doing that again.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

The walkers route at the start of the SDW has tapered steel bars to stop bikes passing through. The cycle route takes you down to the A34 where the path turns right up to the A3 roundabout then up the A3 all on the side path then turns right up to Chilcot where the walkers path joins again.
Re the route out of Salisbury.
I used Monarchs Way but looking at the map Clarendon Way looks a more direct route out of Salisbury and joins the MW at West Winterslow.
I mainly used the National Cycle Way that follows the old Roman Road route while Clarendon Way weaves its way either side of this.
The only part I would query is at the end where CW loops north while Old Sarum Road carries straight on into Winchester.
It might be the more scenic route depends on time I suppose.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks Mariner.
I don't remember bars from last year, maybe things have changed. So I might have to cycle round on the road. Cheers.

I forgot about the Monarch Way. Will have a look.

Depending on rail strikes, I should be heading off tomorrow. Heatwave and thunderstorms. Should be fun.