Mallaig to Loch Eil

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

Mallaig to Loch Eil

Post by Blair512 »

I'm off to do an Outward bound course at Loch Eil in September as an Employee Ambasador for my company. Thinking of getting the train up to Mallaig on the Saturday and cycling down there for Sunday night. Anyone ridden this section near Arisaig? Just wondering if it's rideable or not? From there it looks like I'd have to spin along the road to Glenfinnan and then perhaps head up to Corryhully for the night. That should give me a nice easy day on the Sunday before the course kicks off on the Monday morning. Any other route options along this way? It looks a bit barren to me!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28akxjq]Image
ScotRoutes

Re: Mallaig to Loch Eil

Post by ScotRoutes »

I haven't cycled that but I've walked up a bit from the station to the high point of the path. Rough.

Also - take the coast road from Mallaig, not the fancy-shmansy motorway :wink:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:I haven't cycled that but I've walked up a bit from the station to the high point of the path. Rough.

Also - take the coast road from Mallaig, not the fancy-shmansy motorway :wink:
Best avoided then Colin? Don't want to be too burst turning up for a week of outdoor activities! Yeah I'd planned on the coast road, just stuck that in Strava to put an image up :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've contemplated it as a packrafting trip, but wouldn't consider taking the bike.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Thanks Colin, I'll avoid it then. May just head right along the road and up to the bothy instead
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blair, you can miss out the new road between Arisaig and Drumindarroch by following a section of the old road just to the south of the new one. Head S from Arisaig on the C road and then turn east on the double tracked marked on the map. Where it comes out on the new road you can then ride on the footway/ cycleway.

I think my mate Rob's mate Sparky works at that place
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Thanks Phil, that was the next route I was going to look at.

I'll keep an eye out for someone called Sparky! Should be a good week and since it's through work I'm still getting paid and my travel costs covered as well!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

OK new question, anyone know what the track is like between Glen Pean bothy and Glen Kingie via Kinbreak bothy?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think the track in Glen Kingie is OK (mates did it a few years ago) but not so sure about either of the two passes from Glen Dessarry plus crossing the Kingie could be interesting - looks like the makings of an adventure :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Cheers Phil, hadn't noticed the Kingie was a ford, may route the easy way down the north bank of Loch Arkaig, I'm looking for adventure but I need to be fighting fit on the monday morning ready for a week of more adventure! Any idea what bothy is better, Glen Pean or A'Chuil? You're spoilt for choice up there, there's loads of them and not enough days!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not a clue about those bothies - the 'Bothy bible' seems to rate them all however
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've walked from Strathan into and across Glen Kingie to get to a munro. Possibly the wettest I've ever been short of swimming. The ford was dodgy enough on the way there but was seriously life-threatening on the way back. I was glad there was two of us....

No idea about the bothies I'm afraid.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've walked from Strathan into and across Glen Kingie to get to a munro. Possibly the wettest I've ever been short of swimming. The ford was dodgy enough on the way there but was seriously life-threatening on the way back. I was glad there was two of us....

No idea about the bothies I'm afraid.
Cheers Colin, I'll be by myself and possibly carrying kit a weeks worth of kit so I'll give Glen Kingie a miss.
htrider wrote:Not a clue about those bothies - the 'Bothy bible' seems to rate them all however
Forgot about the bible, I'll have a look tonight and see what it says

Thanks Chaps