Child trailer friendly routes

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Child trailer friendly routes

Post by ootini »

Apart from the NCR 5 and the Mawddach trail in north Wales are there any other trailer friendly routes about in the north west / Wales region? Something scenic would be nice, and no roads, for obvious reasons. For distance, longer the better with some camping opportunities along the way.

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Child trailer friendly routes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure there are any routes without roads longer than a couple of hours.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Roads are a problem but not as much as the various gates and anti moped fixtures on the NCN routes.
Used to go away with my two in a double Chariot that had a roof rack thing for gear.
Was a terrible trauma lifting the bloody thing time and again over obstacles.
Quiet lanes are often the best bet as a result. Either that or properly off road on bridleways where the gates tend to be full sized.
Most of the stuff I know of is in NW England and Yorkshire. If you have low enough gears it's amazing what you can achieve. Using a Shlumpf Mountain Drive I managed to get a 2 year old 4 year old and most of a family of 4's camping gear over the Walna Scar Road
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ootini

Post by ootini »

Yeah, I know the feeling. Even a cycling route, promoted as family friendly became decidedly unfriendly last week, when I had to disconnect my son's WeeHoo three time to get round a 9 mile lake!

I'd love to find a route made up of canal tow path, bridle way, gravel road etc, if very quiet back roads had be included I might be able to live with it depending on length.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd love to find a route made up of canal tow path, bridle way, gravel road etc, if very quiet back roads had be included I might be able to live with it depending on length.
It's out there. It simply requires a map or two and a bit of application.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
It's out there. It simply requires a map or two and a bit of application.
Indeed. That's the next step, I was just curious if there was a known or established route already doing the rounds. When you're towing a toddler "chancing it" is a bit risky, routes previously travelled are the safer option.

Cheers all
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

NCN 66 - Manchester to Halifax - only two short sections of road - mostly canal - about 4 main ish road crossing. I regularly use the Todmorden - Sowerby bridge with our toddler and the trailer. She's even fine with being bumped over cobbles at reasonable speed :)

Campsite above Hebden Bridge - bit of a pedal up to it to be fair.