Calling all Norfolk riders- advice sought

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robsmuddygloves

Calling all Norfolk riders- advice sought

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Hello all, I've recently moved to the flat lands and will be setting off on my first ever multi day bivvy with a mate, along Peddars way, from Knettishall to Holme, very tame I admit. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to let me know of any decent bivvy spots either end of the route? Here's hoping, Rob.
johnnystorm

Re: Calling all Norfolk riders- advice sought

Post by johnnystorm »

Afraid I've always done the route as a day ride. Knettishall Heath never seems that busy even in June so you'd probably get away with it there. The earthwork marked is a medieval farmed rabbit burrow.

Not far from there is the West Harling Heath section of Thetford Forest, the Thorpe Woodlands outdoor centre has external taps for a cheeky top up if there aren't too many d of e or hen groups there. Couple of bronze age Tumuli too.

Just before you cross the A11 there is a services with loos. Problem is you're in dogger-central so keep riding past shadwell crossing (there's an under pass on the opposite side to the house so no need to cross the railway through the gates.)

Castle Acre has a good Spar type shop for supplies.

The Peddars Way runs right past the Mcdonalds at Swaffham when you cross the A47

I stayed at Brick Kiln Farm in Ashill earlier in the week, a couple bailed from the Peddars Way because of the awful rain at the weekend. Might be worth letting the Sun do its bit before heading out for bog trot!
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Cheers for the advice johnnystorm, as you said the route was a sloppy mud fest, extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Just to let you know, the Spar at Castle acre has closed, soon to be a fish and chip shop apparently. We ended up finding a lovely quiet copse on the Peddars way near Ringstead to bivvy in, after having had an early evening pint in the White Horse in Holme next the Sea and topping up our water. If you know of any other routes/bivvy spots around the flat lands please let me know. It's great fun this bikepacking lark. :wink:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

There are full size proper teepees (bike inside as well as sleeping space!) in High Lodge near where the Gruffalo sculpture is (was). The disabled loos aren't locked at night so facilities and water aren't a problem.

The Peddars Way links up to the Icknield way, I've ridden that as far as Gazeley nr Newmarket from Knettishall. You can take the Harling Drove past High Lodge and then through the Brandon Country Park part of the Forest to go under the A11 and across Cavenham Heath/Kings Forest and then loop back.

The last section of the MTB Epics route is from High Lodge to Southwold on the coast. I've done it in reverse and bivvied at High Lodge.