Ennerdale/Buttermere Loop

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Ennerdale/Buttermere Loop

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi all,

Planning a little local jaunt this weekend (live in Seascale), sadly a short one without camping kit as I've got dogs and horses to look after in the girlfriend's absence.

I'm planning on parking up at Ennerdale, riding over to Buttermere for a coffee and cake then back over to the car. Current plan is to take the bridleway via Floutern Tarn over to Buttermere and then Scarth Gap back. I'm aware both of these will include some hike-a-bike. Does anyone know if this is the best way round to do them or would anti-clockwise be a wiser choice?

Cheers all, Andy

edit: confused my passes
lune ranger

Re: Ennerdale/Buttermere Loop

Post by lune ranger »

Scarth gap rides pretty well down hill on either side IMO and Floutern from Ennerdale to Buttermere is good too though probably quite claggy just now. Makes a nice shortish ride that. Enjoy
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
AndyTheBikeGuy

Re: Ennerdale/Buttermere Loop

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Cheers, I did it clockwise from Ennerdale yesterday, boggy on the climb up to Floutern, great descent on slippery grass down to Crummock, crafty cake at the Cafe and then an awful lot of hike a bike over Scarth. Surprised nearly everyone I overtook with the bike across the shoulders. Dented a few egos I think. Good descent and really pleasant pedal along the south side of the Liza back to the car.