Norway

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Norway

Post by Chew »

Kinda delayed the idea of going to Japan this year.

Thoughts of going to Norway instead.

Plan to fly to Oslo, catch the train somewhere and then ride back.
Already had the Rallarvegen route between Bergen and Oslo recommended, just weary it could be a bit busy.

Any other suggestions?
Road/Gravel route (like TNR, and probably 600-800k over 5/6 days)
99percentchimp

Re: Norway

Post by 99percentchimp »

Still interested Chew.... if it's long gravel riding up on the plateaus (Hardangervidda etc.) or in the east will be your best bet....

There were some good links in here http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... way#p48292

Train to Trondheim then cycle back to Oso or into Sweden?

The Rallarvegen will be busy and likely not wild nor long enough.

Bit of mad packrafting thrown in?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ah cheers.

I'd forgotten about that :???:
I'll keep me busy doing some reading. Currently googling "Dangerous Roads" :shock:

Cheap flights from Stanstead to Oslo. The airport is nowhere near Oslo, but on the main railway line, which makes going north easier.
Have thought about Trondheim, but Åndalsnes seems a bit more useful and opens up a few options for a weeks trip.

Thinking about late July if anyone could be interested?

...and yes Packrafting could be very useful up there.....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've not riden the rallarvegen as we couldn't get 3 bikes there as a family and the hire cost for 3 when there was horrendous, but we did walk and camp in the area and busy would be an understatement in the lower sections towards Flam (which is essentially a cruiseship port). Lovely area though. We walked the Aurlandsdalen which isn't too far away and that was ace.

We're off to Norway as a family again this summer, but again struggling to get bikes across. I may make a solo trip later in the year though if I'm a good boy.

If you haven't already seen this, this map of cycleable (or not tunnels) could be handy http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/maps/tunnelmap.shtml
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Chew... try Norwegian.com from Manchester too - direct and not too badly priced to Stavanger then either a train or ferry and ride from there?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

The problem with Norway is its ether flat or vertical... you just don't get the rolling landscape you would imagine - well you do - but just not in "fjordland".

Roads and tracks i the fjord areas are squeezed in the valley bottoms with a nice new road and the old road now a gravel track next to it (often the much more spectacular option). The plateaus on the"the tops" are mostly devoid of cycling opportunities due to the very nature of the terrain (no easy way to get on the top of most plateaus due to the vertical sides of the Fjords) and lack of historic use. Also Norway has very little in the way of commercial forestry, so using fire roads is generally not an option... as they don't exist!.

Having said that, as mentioned, the Hardangervidda Plateau National Park has a good fixed route you can cycle across (complete with mountain hut accommodation). But it also has loads of walking tracks that you can cycle on, but are not dedicated for cycling . Outdoor access is the same for foot or bike - except bikes can be banned from certain sections of mountains.

I worked up in Trondheim (Stjørdal) for a a few years and found it to be the best place for cycling in Norway (and home to Norway's only outdoor Velodrome) Yes its less "dramatic" but still interesting riding and heading inland to Sweden is very pleasant. Its like a more interesting version of Mid Wales but much greener but devoid of "gravel" in the america sense but loads of x-country ski trails, esp. in Sweden . Could be working back in Stjørdal this summer :-)

Also worked in Bergen for many years and found it also a great place for cycling, as long as you except the limited routes due to the geography in "fjordland" for off-road riding. The "Atlantic Road" to the south is crap btw.

I now work in Stavanger and its quite different here. We have a long strip of flat, farm lands heading south for about 150km, so you have that but just 5km inland and its all mountains and byways - even the "main" roads will only have a minimal amount of traffic when you head inland.

I suggest you have a look at the satellite images of the areas you would like to be riding as see if there is actually anything on the ground - its what we do and the only real way of knowing if the track goes to a vertical cliff or can be used as a route to go places. Its a big, wild place with little in the way of tracks out in the wild due to lack of human traffic.

There is a reason for the lack of numerous routes on the web that are all off-road in Norway
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

The problem with Norway is its ether flat or vertical.
Or inside a tunnel
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd looks like I will be heading out to Norway in July or August to, but no bike packing for me. This time it will be with the yeti for some good old xc/all mountain stuff. Be weird sleeping in a proper bed for a week :lol: