Mull

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Mull

Post by GregMay »

I'll find myself there in May with some time to spare. OS map on the way to mull over routes (see what I did there).

Suggestions for a few nice day rides? 3-4 hours.

Also, any suggestions for gravel rides where I could tow the youngling in the trailer also appreciated.

Planning one day to run up/down Ben More* already.

*brain automatically typed this as Ben Mór as I'd have spelt it in Ireland... same meaning.
whitestone

Re: Mull

Post by whitestone »

We did some road based touring there a few years ago so can't help you with the gravel request as it wasn't a thing back then, well not a bike thing. Looking at the map, the most likely venue would be Salen Forest between Salen and Tobermory.

The loop of the western half of the island is great, we did it clockwise from Tobermory. Don't worry about the "main" road, it's hardly any busier than the rest of the roads on the island. The road under the cliffs on the edge of Loch na Keal is stunning, the only way to put it in a loop is to do the eastern half of the island which isn't very interesting plus the Craignure to Fionnphort road gets busy with the Iona traffic. It's well worth popping over to Ardnamurchan, head out to the lighthouse then go to Portuairk and there's a path (partly rideable) to Sanna which saves the out and back through the Great Eucharite.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Excellent, thanks for He info.

I suspect some time with a map, and Google Earth is on the cards for tomorrow.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There are various 'cycle trails' shown on OS landranger mapping - all in various FC land. All easy going and very pleasant particularly the stuff NW of dervaig. Good night to be had in the Mishnish in Tobemory to
ootini

Post by ootini »

Me and the family will be there around the same time, before heading up to Skye.
I did ask about off-road routes on Skye, as we'll have my 4 year old in his trailer, it seemed the general consensus was not to bother. Mull, however might be a bit more interesting. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I work on Mull pretty regularly. There's lots of place I'd love to get the bike to but I'm always on call when on the island these days.

In earlier times I've enjoyed bombing around Ulva and across to Gometra. There's good paths to explore, a cafe and the island is currently under an attempt to be bought by the community.

Getting to the petrified tree at Burg is an adventure on foot but a better ride. Great scenery and otters on the shore often. A must.

There's a bothy west of Salen if you fancy a night away.

Enjoy!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'll be aware that Mull is famous for its Sea Eagles.

This one was photographed on North Uist but it'll give you an idea of what you are looking for.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ha I saw that picture on the Beeb too - its a bloody big bird :shock:
I saw a couple of sea eagles a few years ago on Mull circling above the road round Loch Tuath, entirely out of site of the various sea eagle spotting points.... Even at height they look big.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Saw one yesterday on the way up to Oban just past Kilninver. The size and kite shaped tail gave it away.

Fabulous.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's one regularly at Kilchoan. You can watch it from the campsite.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Binoculars and a longer lens are already on the kit list for Mull! Not like I'll be riding light towing the baby, so it'll give me an excuse to stop and say "I think I saw an eagle, lets stop. I'm not tired no, eagle...definitely. Over near that bench I think"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Say "sea eagle" quickly enough and it sounds like seagull. :-)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:Say "sea eagle" quickly enough and it sounds like seagull. :-)
If one of them tries and grabs my chips, I ain't going to try and stop it :shock: :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry