Findhorn river and Moray coastal trail.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Findhorn river and Moray coastal trail.

Post by Moder-dye »

So, I have an idea for a a little trip that might not be too challenging on my knee...

Bike from Inverness to the source of the Findhorn River ( or as close as is sensible before HAB) . Then follow the Findhorn river to the coast, then Moray Coastal trail and coast generally to Fraserburgh to join the Fortmartine way back to Aberdeen.

I'll be plotting up my ideas some time soon, but in the meantime has anyone got any comments on any bits to avoid or not to miss on the Findhorn river or Moray coastal trail that I can bear in mind?

I know there are some great bits on the Findhorn from reading and some on here might have already done it, but also is the Moray trail ridable in general?

Any heads ups muchly appreciated :-bd

EDIT:
Here's a rough and ready first draft. More road along the coast than I'd prefer, but avoids some sand dune beach areas that could be fine or could be hell and some of it there doesn't seem to be much obvious alternative to B roads. Seems to have cut the start short too now I've veiwed the gpx on https://www.osola.org.uk/rides/gpsuploader.htm

https://www.strava.com/routes/11856105
touch

Re: Findhorn river and Moray coastal trail.

Post by touch »

Depending what you consider the 'source' of a river to be. On the OS map, 2 different rivers join at 653122 and only become the "River Findhorn" from that point. So, does that make it the source? Or are you going to follow the longer of those rivers upstream to where it begins?

The bridge on your route at Schenachie (a couple of miles north of Tomatin) is not crossable. It's a bit like a cable car type arrangement (photo here) and I think it's kept locked up most of the time. I've only been up there once - last weekend, as it happens - and the car was padlocked to one side and I wasnt able to cross. There's no path along the west side of the river there so the options from there would be to wade across (it was probably thigh deep last weekend and quite fast flowing, might be crossable in summer though) or to hike up the hill to the west.
You'd probably be better to cross upstream around Tomatin area and follow on the east side of the river.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't know how much you prefer off-road to road but it is possible to get to Tomatin off-road from Inverness. Of course, that leaves you with a bigger out-and-back up the Findhorn. The route you've chosen over the Garbole road is a good one though.

Shennachie is covered above. The ford lower down at Daless would also be a problem. If you check out Openstreetmap you'll see a track of some sort following the north bank of the Findhorn. This is likely to be rough but might be preferable to trying to ford it twice.

At Dulsie, I'd be tempted to go left-right ant stick to the north side. That gives you a chance to detour to Ardclach tower (well worth it for the view). Rejoin your plotted route at Daltulich.

There are tracks on both sides of the Findhorn along past the Randolphs Lap area. Though I've not ridden them, I know that those on the north side are exceedingly techy and commited - the consequences of a fall would be dire.

The MCT is fine as far as Covesea and the beach can be OK on the right bike (and the right tide). Your route on the road is likely the best option for you thought.

After Lossiemouth you can cross the wee bridge on to the dunes. You might have a short section of softer sand but it's certainly rideable on a normal-width MTB tyre. The track immediately east of that is quite rough and bouldery. Again, your route is probably more appropriate for your tyre choice.

Once beyond Cullen the terrain doesn't lend itself to cycling so I think the roads are your only option.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Thanks for those pointers :-bd

My idea of the source is basically the furthest I can cycle up the longest tributary. I've no intention of HAB on to the tops.

I did read a strava comment somewhere about the river fords being deep, but had hoped the rope chair thing was there and available as it sounded ace.

I don't know that area at all, either the river or the coast so I'll get on the PC tonight and try to put your comments in context. Certainly don't want to ride technical single track on gorge cliffs loaded, but i do want to follow through the woods where is sensible and have heard its ace there.

Not sure on tyres just yet. Currently have a pair of 2.4 geax sturdies on that have some mileage left, but I was considering something narrower and faster rolling with road and rail track which would be no use for the beach sections, maybe even just 40-47mm landcrusiers or similar (I'm a cheapskate :cry: )
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Right, cheers guys.

Thank god for computers! With a combination of open map, bing os and google satellites it looks like a route on the north side between the two fords is on and if the cable carriage happened to be usable I could just have a go on it for laughs. The ardclach b-roads look more interesting that what I'd plotted too, plus the bell tower :-bd

And after saying thank god for computers I hate the bloody things! Just re-plotted those sections of route and went to work on a bit at the Aberdeen end and strava route builder's crashed :cry: Should have saved it a bit at a time, and I will when I've re-re-jigged it :roll:

EDIT:
Here's rough plot of the new version. Strava is being a total pig so after nearly a dozen crashes I've given up tonight. Anyway it's close enough for an idea for now. I only use the gpx for a guide, don't follow navigation prompts etc.

https://www.strava.com/routes/11856105
touch

Post by touch »

I don't think the route on the north side of the river past the rope bridge would be very nice (maybe not even passable at all). I had planned the same route there last weekend - must have seen the same path marked on the OS map that you've seen. I couldn't see the path when i got there but i didn't have a map with me to check where it should be. I didn't risk traversing the hill with an unloaded bike, turned around and went home. I imagine it would be quite difficult when fully loaded. If you want to stick to the north side of the river, i think the safer option would be to climb up and over the tops of the hills.
I don't think you'd have to cross the ford if you went up the south side of the river - looks like there are bridges up beside Drynachan lodge?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Thanks for that Touch. There is a vague route visible on google aerials that approximate s with the openmap lines, but if you been there and seen you'll know better. I thought it looked like a couple of km may be HAB but not bad, maybe not!

I'll have another look and maybe post that bit in detail.

When i looked at going up the hill to the west I didn't see anything likely looking. Could you maybe post a rough idea of where you mean?

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's also worth checking the Strava heatmap.
touch

Post by touch »

There's no marked path around the tops of the hills so it would be a fairly rough hike I expect.
Like I say, I went past the ropebridge trying to find the same path you've spotted on the map which traverses close to the river. I couldn't see it, so I turned around and went home.
I will try and attempt this again at some point and I think this is the route I would take:

You can see another path in the bottom left of that image. It forks off the main riverside path further upstream so you could go up that way but you wouldn't get to see the bridge doing that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I just had a look here: https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15.36/ ... 87/hot/all

Looks like there's a gap of around 500m between the field north of the rope and pulley "bridge" and the start of a track.

There's also a description of the route on the Scotways HP website

http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=326
touch

Post by touch »

ScotRoutes wrote: There's also a description of the route on the Scotways HP website
Ah yes!
From that link, this photo shows where I got to before deciding it wasn't passable:
Although, the river looks a lot lower in that photo than when I was there, might be easier to cross it. I'd guess it's not even knee deep there!

When are you planning on doing this? I still want to go back and try it again so i'll keep you updated with how it goes if I get there first.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

* cough *

Packraft
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers guys.

When... well its a toss up between this and WRT, and at the moment the lack of a need to waste 2 days driving (and cost) is looking like this on the same weekend early may.

But it also depends on my knee with an upcoming consultation and potential replacement depending on results. Did 100km road ride on Sunday and its still pretty stiff and swollen, but not unrideable and I've been on pottering on the hills today for work.

I figured that's the route up the hill you meant and had looked at those other tracks but they don't link up to anything useful. to be honest I'd rather wade the river or push and wade along the river edge than that. As was said its only a short distance really between reasonable ground.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Scotways description of that short section is pretty much what I imagined.

Yeh I use heat maps when planning but just the cycling option. They're very useful usually :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Here's what I was looking at for the tricky bit. The dotted bit is about 800m of what looks like steep sided sheep gaet. Obviously using the sand/gravel banks of the island is a total unknown depending on river levels and current state of erosion, but I try to be an optimist!
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (299.95 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
Also, with the river level in google aerials there are shallows at both the start and end of that rough bits, what it'd be like in May I have no idea, but I'm not averse to fording.

There is one way to find out for sure :lol:

I did find a couple of MTB videos in the woods at Randolph's Leap but it's unclear where about they really are. There are some references on STW to trails there being gnarly and dangerous, but I'm hoping as you said, its the north banks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's my understanding. I could check with someone who rode it fairly recently.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And his response...
- I usually feel less wobbly on the N bank. Maybe got my eye in for the tracks, who knows. We always do the circuit S then N. Never same route twice, not through any plan. The S bank is less rideable overall is my gut feeling, much more pulling bike up slopes. Some intimidating manoeuvres. On the flip side finding right track on N side can be a trouble, and quite a bit is away from the river. Further N as well, it becomes lower, boggy and harder work...
That would be him starting downstream and doing it clockwise.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

So both sides have their issues, but the north is actually more rideable??The opposite of what I thought?

Thanks for getting that info :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

OK, so the caption below this photo isn't too re-assuring...
traverse.jpg
traverse.jpg (209.22 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

But you can just make it out in parts on this photo...
path.jpg
path.jpg (103.35 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
It may be a case of see what state the river is and then decide...