200km West Highland Yomp

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Catbaiter

200km West Highland Yomp

Post by Catbaiter »

Morning,

For those interested in such things, below is a link to our proposed route next week. We're taking it (very) easy as I'm fat and unfit after >12mnths of injury :roll:. No doubt most of you could do it in a day or two!

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1523607/HI

Comments/warning welcome!

I'll let you know how awful it was when(if) we're finished.
ScotRoutes

Re: 200km West Highland Yomp

Post by ScotRoutes »

In addition to my previous comments, Ive ridden Cona Glen in the other direction. You'll likely end up with a bit of a push up to the bealach but it should all work.

Also be aware that there will be lots of water. Polloch has had over 160mm of rain this month.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Also be aware that there will be lots of water. Polloch has had over 160mm of rain this month.
orders new set of 29r mudhuggers...
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

ScotRoutes wrote:Also be aware that there will be lots of water. Polloch has had over 160mm of rain this month.
Thanks... I may have accidentally lied to Jam Bo about the amount of water. Apparently he's still scarred from Icelandic river crossings.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

cold. the word you are looking for is cold.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

I can't argue with that description. I guess the giveaway was the snow still IN the rivers?

Still, at least the weather is looking good for our trip eh?
UK Outlook for Monday 25 Sep 2017 to Wednesday 4 Oct 2017:
Next week there will be plenty of dry weather, but there will be light rain for a time. It will be rather warm during the day time, but it is likely to be chilly at night with some mist or fog patches possible, which may last well into the morning on some days. The second half of the week will be more unsettled with wet and windy weather more likely in the northwest, with a risk of gales or perhaps severe gales. The best of the drier and brighter weather will be in the southeast. Into the start of October there is an increased chance of all parts seeing the unsettled conditions, with rain and stronger winds likely at times
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

good job you're taking a bomber tent then eh...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a Highlands & Islands weather forecast on Facebook. It's worth keeping an eye on it for both recorded data and the more local forecast.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Top tip, thanks.