Shelter/bothy near Inchbae lodge?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Shelter/bothy near Inchbae lodge?

Post by Moder-dye »

Avoiding the obvious of paying to stay the night in a hotel (Arm frum Yorkshire don't tha know?) has anyone got any knowledge of shelter/bothy in the region of Inchbae lodge? A835 near Loch Glascarncoch?

Me and a, less than fit ,mate of mine are planning to do this mixed route from Inverness to Ullapool and then Ullapool to Ardgay (C2C2C) with a camp around Inchbae lodge and two nights in Knockdamph bothy with fish and chips at Ullapool inbetween :-bd

https://www.strava.com/routes/10358407
https://www.strava.com/routes/10358534

I don't really want to have to carry a 2kg tent for one nights camp somewhere upland of Inchbae lodge (pushing on to the bothy will be too much), so thought there might be some sneeky shelter/bothy type thing in the area? I doubt he'll have the facility to carry a share of the tent :cry:

Cheers!
ianfitz

Re: Shelter/bothy near Inchbae lodge?

Post by ianfitz »

There's a open bothy on the croik estate. A fair way north of inchbae. Details on their website. NH 389 960

Also some semi ruins at the lochs before. Marked on map as lubbachlaggan NH 350 782

Several open sided out buildings on the htr route just north of contin. A browse of this year trackleaders page will show you where.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers for info on that bothy. Will try to scope out the contin area...

:-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Moder-dye wrote:Cheers for info on that bothy. Will try to scope out the contin area...

:-bd

No worries, I don't remember exactly where but from memory there are several options. All on the HTR route on the 11km section between Contin and where it crosses the A835.

Enjoy your trip
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ianfitz wrote:There's a open bothy on the croik estate. A fair way north of inchbae. Details on their website. NH 389 960

Also some semi ruins at the lochs before. Marked on map as lubbachlaggan NH 350 782

Several open sided out buildings on the htr route just north of contin. A browse of this year trackleaders page will show you where.
I slept in Lubachlaggan in 2014. It was a dirt floor, but the sheep couldn't get in so it wasn't as grim as it could have been. Some benches made from wooden slats and feed buckets, so I put the slats on the floor and slept soundly on them. I've only seen it in passing since, so there might have been some work done in the interim - richpips did mention a bonfire outside one year.

A few miles further on is Glenbeg bothy, but the last couple of miles are bogs so it could be a bit of a pig to get to.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Thanks guys. Plenty to look into :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Inchbae Lodge - I know a thing or two about that area. Exactly 250km into HT550. It's not an inhospitable place for a night for sure.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I wouldn't say there were semi ruins, Ian. The building in Loch Vaich is sound and has a roof. I've never actually ventured down to it, but suspect it may have a soil floor or stone at best. In any case it's a good 1.5 hrs fairly brisk riding from Inchbae.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:
I wouldn't say there were semi ruins, Ian. The building in Loch Vaich is sound and has a roof. I've never actually ventured down to it, but suspect it may have a soil floor or stone at best. In any case it's a good 1.5 hrs fairly brisk riding from Inchbae.
Fair enough. Last time time I looked the best one had no door or windows. And was pretty mucky. I've slept in worse places though!

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't recommending them as bothies.

15km or thereabouts north of inchbae. Not loads of ascent but maybe half of that is a very slight, but draggy, climb. Always takes longer than it feels like it should.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers appreciate the consideration of what things might,might not be like :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Depending on which way you are going there is a cracking fishermans bothy a few k east of Deanich lodge. Its always been open when I've passed and a few HT folk have used it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Heading south to north. I can see the lodge but not pick out the fisherman's hut. Good to know its there though. Ta.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:Depending on which way you are going there is a cracking fishermans bothy a few k east of Deanich lodge. Its always been open when I've passed and a few HT folk have used it.
I don't remember seeing it. Have been past there a good few times too
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianfitz wrote:
htrider wrote:Depending on which way you are going there is a cracking fishermans bothy a few k east of Deanich lodge. Its always been open when I've passed and a few HT folk have used it.
Turf roof and wee door so its easily missed. Interestingly I've just noticed its shown on open street maps as a shelter. Its just above the 'a' of Abhainn 'a' Ghlinne Mhoir on the OS 1:50k map.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:
ianfitz wrote:
Turf roof and wee door so its easily missed. Interestingly I've just noticed its shown on open street maps as a shelter. Its just above the 'a' of Abhainn 'a' Ghlinne Mhoir on the OS 1:50k map.

Ah. I've seen on the OSM maps but not in real life. Last time I rode past there I was in a hurry :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

rsz_img_20170902_211131.jpg
rsz_img_20170902_211131.jpg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 9925 times
So about NH408867 then??
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Ready for the off with 3 man tent in the bars, though I may now ditch it at my mates before setting off with the fishing bothy sounding promising.

Ta :-bd
rsz_img_20170902_202931.jpg
rsz_img_20170902_202931.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 9377 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianfitz wrote:Ah. I've seen on the OSM maps but not in real life. Last time I rode past there I was in a hurry :wink:
Last time I passed it we got dive bombed by pair of Russian trainer planes :grin:

Have a good trip Moder - look forward to the write up
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just back at my mates house after a different trip than planned. Will write up and video when home, but the fishermans lodge appears to be what Alladale estate's shows as their 'Badger Hide' on the estate interpretation panel.

It basically a very nice hide over looking the river with a stove, benches and panoramic window view. We got there early evening and left early morning and were undisturbed but I'd imagine during the day and weekend there'd be visitors or estate staff popping in. Was a fantastic spot to kip, loved it.
rsz_fb_img_1504850559780.jpg
rsz_fb_img_1504850559780.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 9857 times
The trip was much different to planned due to my mates fitness and sore backside on day 1 (was carrying a big rucksack). But we had a great time and checked out a few bothies and still did about 230km

Write up to come when I'm home....

Ta :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looking up to the other side where the windows are. Its ace...
rsz_img_20170905_174901.jpg
rsz_img_20170905_174901.jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Very good :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »