Outer Hebrides - Stop offs & Restocking

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

Outer Hebrides - Stop offs & Restocking

Post by metalheart »

I'm planning on riding the Outer Hebrides/Hebridean Way-ish next month. Starting in the south and working up.

Will be mostly wild camping. Fancy that Mangersta bothy (or failing that one of the Callanish Pods) though. Probably a camp site somewhere too to get a scrub/wash gear.

Looking to do off-road sections where possible (including the return to Inverness). So Rhenigidale, Machair, hopefully work out a route to Uig (is there a boat between Huisinis & Mealasta?). Any other suggestions greatly received...

Anybody care to advise on stop off points (bivy sites, camp sites) and where you need/can to re-stock on supplies.

Hoping to 'eat out' as much as possible (at least once a day if I can) to keep the load down as I'll be using my usual bikepacking set up.

I've downloaded the visit scotland HW leaflets (and ordered my maps). Had a good long chat with ScotRoutes yesterday too.

Pointers to any previous threads or links would also be appreciated... :-bd
Give the dirt a little room.
whitestone

Re: Outer Hebrides - Stop offs & Restocking

Post by whitestone »

We've done two off-road routes on Harris, the Rhenigidale one (we did it clockwise) and one that looped around Clisham, starts at Bowglass on the main road and heads west crossing Langadail to Loch Boisimid then heads south to the Huisinis road, should be possible the other way as well. There's also an old coffin road that crosses South Harris on an east-west line.

No idea about boats between various hamlets/townships, don't think there's any regular services but you might get lucky with a fishing boat or maybe whale/dolphin watching boats.

There's a good cafe in Tarbert, it's just up the road from the tourist information building, to your left as you head up the hill. I'm told there's a good cafe in Leverburgh but not visited it.

Assuming you are returning to the mainland at Ullapool then there's the coast to coast route: Glen Achall over towards Oykel Bridge but in Glen Einig cut right and go over to Croik, then reverse the HT550 route going to Alladale Lodge; Glen More; Strath Vaich; Strath Rannoch and then through the woods to Contin. Not sure after that to get to Inverness. A shorter route but with more road would be: road to Loch a Bhraoin then the stalkers track over to Loch Fannaich and road to Contin.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Cheers Bob, the HT (amended) route is what I was discussing with Colin yesterday. Just need to get to Tore roundabout, not Inverness itself (although there's the cycle path fromTore anyway).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hotel at Dalibrog/Daliburgh is handily placed for a beer and food before heading for the machair track and a good wild camp opportunity.

Big cafe/restaurant in Balivanich. One of the few places you might be able to just turn up and get an evening meal.

The Harris Gin distillery in Tarbert has a wee cafe.

On the trek from Tarbert towards Stornoway there is very little in the way of food/supplies. The PO in Balallan is open again and there's a wee tearoom/gallery just as you think you've left the village.

Or turn off East just before Balallan and there's a nice cafe/visitor centre a couple of miles up the road.

And don't expect anything to be open on a Sunday - especially in Harris and Lewis.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

And don't expect anything to be open on a Sunday - especially in Harris and Lewis.
Good point! Hoping to start off with the ferry on a Sunday (checking with my mate in Glasgow to leave the car) so should be off-planet by the following one... :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The various Gatliff hostels on South Uist (Howmore), Berneray and Harris (Rhenigidale) are a good bet if the weather is poor show - http://www.gatliff.org.uk/
You can camp at them for half price too and still get to use the showers, loo and kitchen.
There is another nice wee campsite and a hostel on North Uist just after you've crossed onto it from Benbecular - about half a mile after the last bridge on the LHS.
The tarbet to Rhenigidale path is a cracker!

metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Cheers htrider, somewhere with facilities camp or not is a definite good to know option!

:-bd
HUX

Post by HUX »

Whatever you do DON'T attempt the Heratige Trail between the Butt of Lewis and New Tolsta. It puts Stu's bog trotting to shame and the Tolsta end is known locally as The Bridge to Nowhere! Even the local vet got lost up there and had to be rescued :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

HUX wrote:Whatever you do DON'T attempt the Heratige Trail between the Butt of Lewis and New Tolsta. It puts Stu's bog trotting to shame and the Tolsta end is known locally as The Bridge to Nowhere! Even the local vet got lost up there and had to be rescued :roll:

:lol: My pal Iona did that a few years ago in the pishing rain and had a truly miserable experience!
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Don't worry, I'd already been warned about the bridge to nowhere... :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Why are you not here yet? I'm in Balranald campsite waiting for you!
:lol:

Saw about a dozen cyclists today and it's still fairly busy.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Because I'm going to see Margaret Glaspy first (of course).

Should be there by Thursday though (aye, next week...)

Keep me a spot wontcha? :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Sorry just seen this so you might be already there!
If not then it sounds like your trip from south to north on the Hebrides is similar to one I did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpoUpZQJ5s&t=89s

I stopped at the following:
Co-op at Creagorry
Lochmaddy Hotel for bar meal in er Lochmaddy
The Butty Bus at Leverburgh port
Community shop at Leverburgh
Lochs services at the cross roads of the A859 & A858
Another shop near the M******a bothy at Timsgearraidh

And yes the Rhenigdale youth hostel is great and so is the Postmans path from Tarbet
And the M*******a bothy is just amazeballs ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpoUpZQJ5s&t=89s
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Aye, that bothy looks amazing... suspect it's for another trip though.

Not departed quite yet, but not long now though :-) still got to go see Margaret Glaspy play on Saturday.

Thanks for your suggestions and list, its appreciated ST :-bd

How easy is it find/follow the Posties Path? I've not got it loaded on the GPS (or have enough batteries, need that for the ride back from Ullapool....)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Posties Path: There are so few tracks that it's mostly a case of taking every right or left turn you come to depending on direction.

Clockwise - head east out of Tarbert and at a sharp right hand bend take the track on the left that leads down to a loch. Follow this over the col then take the track to the right to pick up the road to Rheinigeadal. As you descend to this village there's a signpost just as the road turns left. Follow this track back along the coast and over the hill to the road to Tarbert.

Anticlockwise - head east out of Tarbert, go past the outflow of the loch and when the road bends right the track is straight ahead. Go over the hill and along the coast to Rheinigeadal. Back along the (only) road and at the bridge at the head of Loch Maraig take the track on the left. Keep left, go over the col and down to the road from Tarbert.

Another possible feed stop is the community centre at Greosabhagh. Not sure if it's still going so don't rely on it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Ha!! GPS? I don't do 'that side of the this madness' ;)

The good thing about anywhere in Scotlandshire is they signpost every path/track.

Have a belter :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

GPS is for the ride home, definitely no sign posts for the route there! Decided to take the
OS map as well though... best be prepared :cool:

Not expecting any requirement for it on the island hopping leg though :-bd