Gravelling across Spain

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AngryBadger

Gravelling across Spain

Post by AngryBadger »

Hi All, I'm newly signed up to this forum. I've come seeking wisdom. I've done a bit of bikepacking but always on roads. Recent events, more precisely deaths, in the IndyPac, TransAm and this week in the Transcontinental are making me very reluctant to do long distance ever again on congested and impatient roads in future. For that reason I'm hatching a plan. I'd like to cycle from Santander to Granada across Spain with as little tarmac as possible. I'd like to be able to use a CX bike rather than an MTB, although that's flexible dependant on terrain. I'm here fishing for wisdom and experience on Spanish long distance cycle routes. I'm particularly interested to know if anyone has experience of the ViasVerde system of converted railways or the El Cid BTT route south from Burgos to Cuenca. I've about 7-10 days to make the trip which should be more than adequate. I'd envisage days of about 150km or so, again depending on surface. Thanks in advance :)
In Reverse

Re: Gravelling across Spain

Post by In Reverse »

A few of us from here did a Tarragona to Bilbao ride earlier this year. Picked up the Camino Del Cid from Vivel del Rio Martin and followed it north through Burgos etc. We were all on rigid mtbs, but you'd be fine on a CX. I think we averaged about 110km per day at a reasonably leisurely pace.

The poster "pistonbroke" lives in Spain and put the route together, he also does gravel racing iirc. Drop him a pm.