Routes in the NW of Scotland (or on the way...)

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

Routes in the NW of Scotland (or on the way...)

Post by metalheart »

Should have posted this weeks ago but looking for a suitable outing for my July BAM.

I'd like to revisit Inverpoly (loved going to Reiff for the climbing in a previous life) so that's be first chioce. Is there a loop down Suilven way? Wouldn't object to having to stop off at the Pie Shop in Lochinver... :oops:

Anything to consider between the Black Isle and the Coast? Nothing to adventurous, 100 miles max over the two days, but would be just as happy with 50.

Will be sporting my B+ SolarisMAX...

All suggestions greatfully received.

mh
Give the dirt a little room.
ScotRoutes

Re: Routes in the NW of Scotland (or on the way...)

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not a whole lot of choice for a 100 mile loop.

You could do the northern section of the HT550 - sometimes found as the Arkle Loop. A high bivvy at the Bealach Horn would be very rewarding.

Or start at Oykel Bridge and do the whole northern loop (including the infamous walk past Suilven)?
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yeah, I was maybe thinking the northern loop...

The infamous walk past Suilven, hmm, sounds enticing doesn't it...

At least it has the pie shop!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I make it 180km from Oykel Bridge and back. I guess you could skip the Arkle Loop to cut it down by a few km (and a lot of time).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I like the HT550 Northern Loop but a few don't get on with the Ledmore Traverse past Suilven. Here's a report on our trip at May Bank Holiday - http://bobwightman.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... hland.html.

If you are on a B+ then the Ledmore Traverse could be a bit more rideable, otherwise it's a lot of pushing :oops: Apart from that there isn't much Hike-a-Bike, little bits here and there going up Glen Golly and round to Bealach Horn but if it's dry it's surprisingly rideable. There's the other track from Gobernuisgach Lodge to Lone that would shorten things a bit - I've not done this but it's said to be OK.

Another loop, a bit easier, would be to follow the HT550 from Contin to Oykel Bridge, down to Ullapool and over the Coffin Road to Dundonnell but then the track from Loch a Bhraoin over to Loch Fannaich and back to Contin.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Another loop, a bit easier, would be to follow the HT550 from Contin to Oykel Bridge, down to Ullapool and over the Coffin Road to Dundonnell but then the track from Loch a Bhraoin over to Loch Fannaich and back to Contin.
But nae pize!
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Hmm, sounds like a bit more of a keep for another time (with less time restrictions...) :grin:

Pies or hike-a-bike, pies or hike-a-bike...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The Northern loop is great. Quite a bit of pushing but you're guaranteed to be alone a lot of the time. The Bealach Horn is quite an enjoyable ride/walk and the descent to Lone makes up for any trudging.

The Pie Larder though is overpriced. It gets good reviews from cyclists because it's a blessing three days into the HTR, but it's an expensive stop for pastry.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I've been in the pie shop before (I baulked at the price when I first visited knocking on 15 years ago) but you're in the middle of nowehere and you get a plateful.

Just need to make my mind up over what to do... :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The last time I ate there the added cost of eating in bought a piece of lettuce and a bit tomato.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The trail from Gobernuiscach lodge directly west to Lone is a lot easier than the bealach horn. Could hop over the track from Achfary to Loch Glendhu and then up the track to the bothy. I've always fancied the trail from Achfary up strath stack, behind Ben Stack and then south west to the A984 - looks like it should go :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:The trail from Gobernuiscach lodge directly west to Lone is a lot easier than the bealach horn. Could hop over the track from Achfary to Loch Glendhu and then up the track to the bothy. I've always fancied the trail from Achfary up strath stack, behind Ben Stack and then south west to the A984 - looks like it should go :wink:
Looking on Geograph, it looks like it's a mixture of ATV and old stalker's path - http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=847369 and http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3461042 As a day loop from Kylestrome/Kylesku going clockwise it looks like a nice loop.

Not sure what the track leading from Loch na Gainmhich to the top of Eas na Cuillin and down to Inchnadamph is like
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thanks guys, I'll take a look.

Needless to say with the forecast last weekend there was no way I was venturing north!

Might do it for August instead... :-bd