Maps for phone

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Maps for phone

Post by Sarah »

I am about to set of to Somerset/Cornwall for a couple of weeks on the Ogre. Riding some Sustrans and some off road trails, very low key and easy paced.

Looking for any recommendations for electronic mapping aps.

I was going to use Backcountry navigator as it has been recommended but found it really frustrating and unreliable, trying to download maps to save on phone and use off line. Given up. OS has a £4 for a month deal, so may use that, has anyone got any experience of using it ? or any other recommendations ?

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah
In Reverse

Re: Maps for phone

Post by In Reverse »

Viewranger's pretty useful. You can buy the map tiles you need for off-line OS mapping, seems pretty cheap, or you can use online maps if you're in an area with phone signal.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Osmand+ is pretty good. I don't find the OS maps app that good. Backcountry is ok once you get used to it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I just buy the real OS map in the regular dash4it sales, enter the map's code online, and download for "free" to my telephonic device. Obviously I never use the phone copy because I'd have to have the phone on to do so, thereby risking having to talk to people, but mainly because the actual map is far nicer to use (work of art, large viewpoint instead of horrible phone "tunnel vision", enforces a brew stop to look at it, keeps the rain off my head, don't need to switch it on cos it's already permanently on, etc). :wink:

R
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another vote for Viewranger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like Reg, I don't have a phone but I do have an ipod touch on which I have numerous off-line 50k OS maps. I bought them from itunes, they cover big swathes of the UK - Wales, northern England, etc. I recall they're about £12 each.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I use Galileo
It's free, download before you go and works offline. I've used it in the UK, Italy, France and Spain with no problems
Karl

Post by Karl »

Backcountry Navigator. You can use the free app or pay £10 for the ad free version. It's far better than viewranger in my opinion. You can cache (download) os maps for free. Excellent app.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Whoops....sorry didn't fully read your post :oops:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I have gone for the OS app. They had a special £4 for the month. Got all I needed downloaded really easily. Works with Wi-Fi n data switches off and still there after a restart. (Back country did none of those!) Fingers crossed for next week.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Sarah
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

komoot is my current favourite, and maps.me looks interesting too.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Maybe too late but maverick app for android is my choice. Free, caches maps for off line use and can get free OS maps up to 1:25k as well as other maps layers.