Somerset and Cornwall ideas ?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Somerset and Cornwall ideas ?

Post by Sarah »

I am doing a solo trip next month that will [roughly] start near Stonehenge and finish up at the Eden Project. Got a couple of weeks and no real agenda.

I have picked out a few trails I want to ride; Tarka, Camel, Galaxy, some Sustrans stuff etc and things I want to see, mostly cider orchards :???: and just looking for any other recommendations of things and trails to check out en route ?

Sarah
Sarah
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Somerset and Cornwall ideas ?

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Loads of great riding on Dartmoor and Exmoor, not so sure about Bodmin. Easy to bivi on the moor as well.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Are you visiting the Eden project ? Not far away are Heligans gardens that are far nicer to
Visit and the original idea/venue for Eden ?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Yep going to Eden and Heligan. Really excited. Just looking for any suggestions of anything else that way not to be missed. Trail, beach, woodland, it's all good!
Sarah
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I posted this on the north devon thread but there are two routes on bikepacking.com a Dartmoor/Exmoor c2c route and an Exmoor/Quantocks loop which you may be able to use bits of.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

If you are dropping down to Winchester I have the Winchester to Salisbury route as a gpx.
After Salisbury there is Hardy country which is still lanes and small villages.
Also have a look for farawayvisions ride reports I think she did some Wessex Way rides.
If you are too far south and want to get back up to Somerset/Devon coast there is a route starts/finishes in or close to Weston Super Mare that will put
you close to those areas.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Great beaches in the Woolacombe - Croyde area in North Devon, and a good fish and chip shop here. If you find yourself in need of a shower, there's a good, basic campsite here.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for that, fits in perfectly with some of the trails I have found to go through Exmoor. A nice campsite and shower occasionally will be great.

Just started fettling with bike and gear, trial packing etc.... :-bd
Sarah
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Hey, happy to help. Are you coming anywhere near Bristol or the Mendips??
thenobelcyclist

Post by thenobelcyclist »

I've stopped at Runnage Farm campsite on Dartmoor; you can get a shower and pitch for £6 a person per night, if you want a bit more comfort they have bunkhouses. Postbridge is about a 1 mile bike ride where they have a shop and a pub.

http://www.runnagecampingbarns.co.uk
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks. Currently in Lynmouth eating all I can. Weather is mixed. Trails and sustrans are amazing.
Sarah
Mike

Post by Mike »

Don't attempt to try the west Sussex ridgeway it's a mare prop overgrown at mo. The tarka trail is great and there's a good wildcard spot south of Okehampton around the back of Meldon resa