Pitlochry and Glen Affric advice

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

albertboffin

Pitlochry and Glen Affric advice

Post by albertboffin »

Hi everyone,

I’m planning a couple of bikepacking trips coming up and wanted some input/ideas on difficulty and possible return routes for one of them.

I’m going to start with one in Pitlochry heading up to Blair Atholl and round hopefully staying in the Allt Scheicheachan bothy but under my trusty tarp/bivi if not. Going to call the estate beforehand as its stagg season now.

Then a second after that heading over to the Glen Affric area, starting in Morvich, heading east along the highland trail through Glen Affric to Cannich. I hear the climb to the Camban bothy is a touch difficult.
Looking to either then retrace my steps back to Morvich, hopefully down the other side of Loch Beinn a’Mheadhoin and Loch Affric for a bit of variety, or if there is a route back via Loch Mullardoch take that. Which is where I’m hoping some peeps might now the area better than I do. Looking for a 2 night 3 day ride there.

Anyone have any tips or advice about this area, or any routes you’ve taken round there? Not precious about the route and happy to take an alternative if its worth the views.

Thanks
Alastair
Moder-dye

Re: Pitlochry and Glen Affric advice

Post by Moder-dye »

Thought someone else might have chipped in by now.

All I can add is that the climb to camban with a loaded bike is no fun, but the scenery is great.
however, the ride down in to and through Glen Affric is great. Camban bothy is great too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I did the Affric-Kintail Way a few weeks ago, including the bit past Camban.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/06/act-2-ride.html

You can expect to be pushing all the way up from Glen Lichd almost to the Bothy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The route up to alt Shiechechan is easy and plenty other trails to choose from around there. Atholl estate is pretty good about access so wouldn't get too worried about staking if you stick to established routes. The minigiag is a good challenge with the Gaik making a good return route.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Alt Sh from Old Blair car park is a slow 5 miles up hill, about 45 mins in the dark in a snow storm, so hopefully a bit less in better conditions. Nice bothy. Don't believe the nobs from Trail magazine - it's about as haunted as your living room.
Camban from the private climbing hut at the end of the rideable Glen is about 1.5 hrs. More pushing that riding but it won't kill you. Just remember you're in Glen Affric and be extremely grateful that you're there. Camban is a great bothy so once you get there you're home and dry and any perceived hardships should soon be forgotten.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Was up Glen Tilt week before last - The car park had notices from the estates on access during the shooting season
Off limits general locations and dates are given
2924 miles per Gallon
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Did you see if the notices affect the main direct route through to Braemar? my plans see me heading through there on Saturday. Will be a frantic rerouting if that is the case :sad:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You can regard the main routes through as open. They are Rights of Way in addition to the normal access laws applying.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd