Ridgeway advice - walking

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Ridgeway advice - walking

Post by benp1 »

Thinking of a walk and bivvy this weekend with the dog, haven't done the ridgeway before. Will obviously only be doing part of it, looking for some advice from anyone who knows it

Was thinking of train to Goring and heading North East, then walk to somewhere like Princes Risborough, Wendover or Tring and train home, or might be able to blag a lift home

Does anyone know what that section of the Ridgeway is like? My tent is a MLD Supermid so isn't very subtle, dog prefers that to a tarp but haven't written off the tarp entirely. I need an area fairly quiet and remote to be able to bivvy out in peace

Also, is the trail Classic Chilterns rolling hills at that point? Presuming it is but some inside knowledge would be great. Green lovely countryside is good

If the weather is looking rubbish I might need an entirely different plan, but I like the idea of avoiding hours of driving just for one night if possible
jameso

Re: Ridgeway advice - walking

Post by jameso »

I live at the Chiltern end of the Ridgeway, know it pretty well. From Goring it's slightly dull walking terrain along the Thamews Path for maybe 5 miles until you get to by Winterbrook and head east up Grim's Ditch, then it's more hills and typical Chilterns up to Britwell area, then it follows a low line past Watlington with the escarpment on your right as you walk north-east, rather than being up in the hills themselves - easy to walk right up into them on a number of obvious trails, but the area up on top near the M40 is not so good for tent spots. Once 5 miles or so past the M40 it gets better but that's a long walk by then.
Bivi spots are plentiful if you're really subtle and there's more places to hide along the Chiltern end, with a dog and tent I could maybe recommend a couple via PM if needed.

tbh I really like the open, more exposed feel and longer views of the western end past Goring but that's largely as it's more different to my local terrain. It's a bit more samey or has better continuity, depending on how you see it. Bivi spots are again plentiful for a subtle bivi-bagger but a tent is tricker as so much of it is private. Easy to hide away though.
benp1

Re: Ridgeway advice - walking

Post by benp1 »

Thanks for the advice Jameso

I'm sorry to say that I bottled it relatively last minute, the weather looked a bit grim and it was very helpful being at home on the Sunday as I had a load of stuff to do

I was still committed to doing a long walk with the dog so I took the train down to Folkestone and did 28 miles (and a fair bit of climbing) over a very long day, including walking up to Dover and then onto the White Cliffs. I was absolutely knackered at the end of it, so was the dog!

I'll be heading up to the Ridgeway at some point though, it's on my must do list!