A Warning!

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

A Warning!

Post by sean_iow »

A bit off topic but important for all men making their own kit to read this....Over the past couple of years I've made three full frame bags, a partial frame bag, stem cell copies, two tarps, handlebar harness and a large number of other odd and ends. All of which I'm quite proud of with the technical difficulty and quality improving with each one.

Having moved house last summer by December we thought that we should really get round to putting curtains up in the dining room. After a fruitless search for some of the right dimensions (it's a bay window and the width is large compared to the drop) and finding that standard curtains only come in sizes which don't match our window and not wanting to pay for them to be made I find myself uttering the words 'I'll just make some, it will be easier". Material bought I managed to postpone this until February but I've got some more kit I want to make and so can't really be sat at the machine if the curtains aren't even started so finally had to get round to it.

Technically they're not exactly pushing the limits of my abilities but there is just such a long length of seams to do! Life size panda on the window gives and idea of scale :lol:

So let this be a warning, don't let pride in your home made bike-packing kit get the better of you and probably best not to let the wife find out just what your capapble of making, unless you want to spend 2 evenings making curtains. I've been informed by the wife that I can make some duvet covers next #-O
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Fat tyre kicker

Re: A Warning!

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Excellent job....just hope that Panda doesn't trash them climbing down :smile:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Too late for me, after my own projects (and you know, running an embroidery business with lots of sewing) it was hard to hide my abilities...

Ive have to shorten trousers, bring in a dress, fix a rather fancy bra, make belts and now she's talking about me making a decent sports bra from scratch!!

I quickly learned that delicate clothing is a whole world away from being able to sew cordura and military webbing :lol:

Ive also had to repair a few uniforms of skint squaddies that couldnt afford to visit the barracks tailor. Atleast i know what im doing with those
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I can't complain, I've got off lightly so far, just the odd button or repair of ripped lining on a coat. Lots of the bivi stuff I've made has been for the wife, she's got a custom frame bag, harness etc. on her bike - and people say romance is dead :lol:

When I suggested I make the curtains I was thinking "It's just like a tarp you hang in the window" except due to the size it's actually just like 4 tarps you hang in the window, oh and an outside door not pictured, so 5 tarps then :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cuben curtains? :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Cuben curtains? :-bd
About as useful and a chocolate fireguard!

For light blocking i recommend 20 denier nylon packed with 4 denier PU wall vinyl, superlight, easier to stitch, blackout curtains!

Now cuban shower curtains* would be a great idea!

*wait, you haven't patented your "shower curtain" now have you? :lol: