How can I. Red eye light mount

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

How can I. Red eye light mount

Post by ianfitz »

I like the exposure red eye rear light that works off a revo. But when used with saddle mounted luggage the light is partially obscured.

I was thinking I could move it down to the off side seat stay. My bodge-tastic skill with solder means I am able to extend the lead no problem. But the mount...

The exposure one is designed to fit around a seat tube. It works fairly well TBH. So I thought if I could cut a short length of spare seat tube at the correct angle and cut some 'correctly spaced semi circles that fit snugly on the seat stays' I could fix that on and simply attach the red eye to it.

Does that make sense? Sound sensible? Any other options that are simpler?
ScotRoutes

Re: How can I. Red eye light mount

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mine is mounted "upside down", so that the angle of the black mount points the beam more towards the horizontal.

No spacers, adapters or extensions required (though it's fairly high up on the seatstay)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I wrapped my seatstay with a strip of handlebar tape and wedged another bit to angle it. Lasted from Canada to Mexico. Bodgetastic!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:Mine is mounted "upside down", so that the angle of the black mount points the beam more towards the horizontal.

No spacers, adapters or extensions required (though it's fairly high up on the seatstay)
I hadn't thought of that. Just assumed the diameter would be wrong. But...

It fits perfectly! There's a grove in the mount which fits into the edge of the mudhugger to stop it rotating too.

Cheers Colin. That's saved me a job :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Same as Nige - seatstay with some plastic behind it - worked fine until I killed my Revo output.

Edit: two are not linked to best of my knowledge - I'd been running a Redeye off my revo for 2 years prior.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Mine is mounted "upside down", so that the angle of the black mount points the beam more towards the horizontal.

I hadn't thought of that. Just assumed the diameter would be wrong. But...

It fits perfectly! There's a grove in the mount which fits into the edge of the mudhugger to stop it rotating too.

Cheers Colin. That's saved me a job :-bd
I fed the wire up through that groove. I just assumed that's what it was for!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks all. Good to know that my bodge is likely to go the distance :wink:

Colin - I did the same on the seat post but the edge of the mudhugger stops it moving in rotation now it's on the stay
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I fitted mine on the saddle rails as I use it with a dropper and a mud hugger. It also goes on the back of a seat pack as I extended the wires.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

GregMay wrote:Same as Nige - seatstay with some plastic behind it - worked fine until I killed my Revo output.

Edit: two are not linked to best of my knowledge - I'd been running a Redeye off my revo for 2 years prior.
I did this by accidentally plugging the dynamo into the output socket. USE told me it books the circuitry.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ian

Post by Ian »

Dave Barter wrote:
GregMay wrote:Same as Nige - seatstay with some plastic behind it - worked fine until I killed my Revo output.

I did this by accidentally plugging the dynamo into the output socket. USE told me it books the circuitry.
LIkewise, same user error here. USE fixed it for £15.