Low budget mini tarp

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Low budget mini tarp

Post by thenorthwind »

OK, more like no budget. I've been trying for another Blue Peter badge.

I had an idea for a tiny tarp for fair weather use - just big enough that I can get my head under so I don't have to get right inside my bivvy bag if it rains, and give a bit of shelter from the elements (assuming pitched opening on the leeward side) for kit storage and cooking.

I also hoped it might come in handy as a separate tarp for the dog, but early indications suggest she will prefer to sleep under the big tarp with me and my girlfriend. No surprises there.

It's simply a 4' square hemmed sheet from an old, cheap tent with shock cord loops at each corner. The aim is to replace the pole with something lighter (steel tube was just for testing!), possibly two in an A-frame to get them out of the way. I'll also add a simple locating feature for them on the apex. Pole is approx. 80cm,.

I may also add a lifter in the centre in case there's something to tie it up too, but it's reasonably taught as is. Enough to do the job anyway.

It'll also get Nikwax'd.

Weight as it stands is 135g (excluding pole and pegs).

sean_iow

Re: Low budget mini tarp

Post by sean_iow »

Nice, and made from an old tent is a good way to save money :smile: I've a similar sized home made 'micro' tarp and it works surprisingly well. Pitched with the back into the wind it provides just enough shelter to keep your head dry and there is enough room for a small stove to be used (carefully) next to you. Here's mine in the garden.

In use I add an extra guy from the top of the handle bar to the ground to stop the bars moving when the wind blows on the tarp. The pole is one of Stu's and is 900m long. I end up sleeping at an angle to the tarp to miss the pole, if that makes sense, but does mean I only need a single pole.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Great minds think alike! That looks very similar. Granted, it's a pretty simple design and hardly radical.

As I mentioned, I'm planning to add a lifter in the same place but I hadn't thought of using the bars as another "pole" (though this may see some non-bike related use too).

The pole didn't really seem in the way when I did a quick "lie test" so I may keep it down to one too, though it'd be nice to have the option.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I have to own up that mine was inspired by this

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps ... WE102.html

but as my tarps have been getting smaller with each new one, started with a dd 3m x 3m, then home made at 2.4m x 1.5m and now home made at 1.5m x 1.2m (the one above) I probably would of got to this size in the end.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote:...The pole is one of Stu's and is 900m long.....
That must require a lot of folding to get it to a manageable size to pack away.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:
Puzzled over this statement for a moment :roll: :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote:
:lol: Oops, and I'm the sort of person who usually spots that sort of clanger in reports at work :oops:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Seeing as the photo's gone, here's an update of it in action. I added a lifter (not really employed well here) and made a pole out of a couple of sections of old fibreglass tent pole. A couple of bits of webbing sewn in for the pole to locate in, and a foot made out of a plastic bottle. Tarp and guy lines weigh 134g (no pole). The pole probably weighs that again though.

ImageIMGP2720 by Dave W, on Flickr

Lifter employed to better effect:

ImageIMGP2823 by Dave W, on Flickr