Impulse buy proves tricky.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Impulse buy proves tricky.

Post by Ray Young »

Not really MYOG but it did require some lateral thinking none the less.

I bought a Decathlon cycle bag for £9.99 on a whim thinking to use it up the front of the seat post as suggested on the packaging but didn't think to measure it first. Needless to say it was too long to fit. Next I tried it as a gas tank but found it to be unstable. Bugger, wasted money I thought but after sitting looking at it with a coffee in hand I decided to try it on my new carbon forks. Initial placings didn't work well because of the severe taper in the fork. I then hit on the idea of using the bar harness strap as the top mounting point which itself goes round an aluminium mounting tube on the top of the forks (the harness and aluminium mounting tube are MYOG, the tube not only acts as a mounting point but pushes the bar bag clear of the head tube to avoid any rubbing). Mounting it this way stopped the bag from wanting to slide down the fork and gave it more stability. Now I was faced with another problem, my bicycle related OCD means I don't like a bike to look unbalanced so I had to go out and buy a second bag for the other side so as to give it symmetry :roll: , I don't generally suffer OCD type stuff, honest.
I am pleased with the result as it gives me an extra 2.8 litres of space (I will only put in lightweight stuff that doesn't mind getting wet like tarp etc), it's stable and I think it looks pretty good.

The forks.

Don't believe it.

Mounted.

With bar bag.

Rear view.

NOTE TO SELF............ "Must rub off the B'Twin moniker to regain symmetry".
TheBrownDog

Re: Impulse buy proves tricky.

Post by TheBrownDog »

my bicycle related OCD means I don't like a bike to look unbalanced so I had to go out and buy a second bag for the other side so as to give it symmetry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suspect a lot of us on here recognise themselves in this. I can't stand a bike light fitted to the side of the stem clamp - they MUST be front and centre so I have a range of brackets for all occasions.
I'm just going outside ...
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

I'd would say that looks very neat if it weren't for the fact the one BTWIN logo is facing forward whilst to other is facing aft. Not sure I can handle that :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nevis wrote:I'd would say that looks very neat if it weren't for the fact the one BTWIN logo is facing forward whilst to other is facing aft. Not sure I can handle that :lol:
Sorry but I saw that one coming :wink:.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray Young wrote:NOTE TO SELF............ "Must rub off the B'Twin moniker to regain symmetry".
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Fair enough, clearly not paying attention. :oops:

As long as it's on the to do list I'll let you off!
tenbears10

Post by tenbears10 »

I've got the same bag it fits as a rear gas tank. Above the top tube attached to the seat post, only downside is the side zip pocket is upside down but if you are careful gels or bars just slip out into your hand so good for on the go access.