Bumbag harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Fargoist

Bumbag harness

Post by Fargoist »

From riding with bottles on fairly technical terrain I was reminded that I used to use an hydration system, however in a small rucksack. From riding with Wotsits of this forum, and looking online I have come to the conclusion that riding with a complete rucksack sucks. I have this bumbag already, its an old lowe alpine fjell runner I think, and made quite sturdy so suitable for the wear and tear it'l get from mountain biking and associated grime. The bag is like the tardis and easily fits two nalgene bottles with room to spare in the main compartment. Shown with the bag in the photograph is the "completed" harness. All is hand stitched, with thread kindly given to me by the folks at Aguille in Staveley, in the past I have used paracord inner, is white and wanted to make a slightly neater job.

Image2019-06-25 10.44.37 by John Rowlands, on Flickr

The forward thinking folks at Lowe alpine manufactured this bag with multiple straps and attachments, with the available loops aside the handle, which I will use to attach the 40mm tape. Also shown in the left of the photo is a buckle I have stitched on to the waist straps with 20mm tape to attatch the harness.

Image2019-06-25 10.45.23 by John Rowlands, on Flickr

Below is the harness attached with the prototype buckle to be positioned in the user's upper back, without this I found the straps don't sit right and found its much much better fitting with it. I am planning to source some black plastic, of around 2-3 mm thickness, maybe from an old storage box, to replace the prototype. Also the sternum strap can be seen, which I attached with stitching two molle loops of 20mm tape onto the main 40mm. Also seen on the first photograph is the construction of reducing the 40mm to 20mm tape, I cut away the 40mm to fit into the 20mm buckle and sealed with a lighter and stitched back permanently holding the buckle. Im pleased with how this worked out and prefer it to the square end finish of stitching the two sized tapes together.

Image2019-06-25 10.48.42 by John Rowlands, on Flickr

As the bag will be used for a hydration system (source convertube with a nalgene for the geeks) I used the 40mm tape I had left over to double up the shoulder straps, adding some stability to the straps for hopefully comfort and allowing a hose to be threaded on either side. The bumbag has a generous amount of padding and some would say overkill waist strap, so I intend to make good use of that, meaning I'm not overly concerned about the lack of padding. Time will tell and can always add padding at a later date.
thenorthwind

Re: Bumbag harness

Post by thenorthwind »

Interesting idea.

I ride with a bumbag sometimes, but when I'm carrying a camera (which is usually) I like to have it on a Peak Designs Capture Clip on a rucksack strap. Something like this would allow me to do that without the rucksack itself.
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Yeah idea poached from wingnut and source, maybe I should patent it and sell the design to lowe alpine :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's quite nifty that :-bd It's got me thinking, perhaps instead of a fold up rucksack I should have made some shoulder straps for my own bumbag (Lowe Alpine Messa) but with clips to attach the dry bag on the back when extra space is required for food? Or with clips to attach the bag out of my front harness to reduce the weight of the bike for HAB sections?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i do like my bumbag for long trips - its just so unobtrusive and an easy place to put all those things you need to get to easily

Sean that is an interesting idea as to whether some for of strapping would allow the use of bag - [ wingnut do low slung bags so "research" their designs.

My camelbak one is not as low strung and i forget the make - FWIW low slung weight is more stable [ though less comfortable* IME]
* largely seems to be where the bladder is on my back rather than contents
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Gave it its first use today for around 40 miles and no issues. A little fraying where the tape has been cut, but nothing a lighter wont sort or some extra material and stitching.