Welding harness to Apidura/Cordura

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Welding harness to Apidura/Cordura

Post by redefined_cycles »

Am hoping someone might be able to help. Just recently noticed that my Apidura handlebar pack doesn't have the stabilistation strap attachment to allow to fasten the the headtube. As shown below

So. Weld or sow or is there another way?? I dont know how to do either so any easy kit I can get that makes the task easy as... :smile:
middleagedmadness

Re: Welding harness to Apidura/Cordura

Post by middleagedmadness »

If your thinking of welding it you'll need a hot air gun that reaches a constant high temp and you'll need to be pretty quick with the roller when melting it together as it melts /burns quite easy , not sure how thick the material is but it took a good while to learn how to make a neat job on truck curtains
redefined_cycles

Aha... I do have my own hot air gun (which I assume won't be suitable) and access to my dads hot air gun (its a 1990s Black&Decker I'll have you know :cool: ). But I dont fancy doing a rubbish job, nor of burning a hole. I've judt about got my baggage gear together and would be a shame to have to start saving up for the replacement when the PBW trip is looming round the corner...

How about investing in the Apidura waterproof accessory pocket and then attaching some sort of strap into the strap that fixes that onto the handlebar bag...

Unless you MYOG professionals feel there is an easier way that would bring more stability. Dojt mind spending a bit but not too much

:roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd sew it as you can always unpick it and start again. You'll only get one change welding it and as Stu says, it's a slim one :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Will sow something on... better to invest in one of them curved needles?? I imagine I would need some pretty thick needle regardless to get through the cordura fabric and also some significantly strong/thick thread..

Any suggestions of what the people would do this regularly would use...

Thanks all
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Won't need anything too special for the needle but a thimble might be handy :wink: Don't skimp on thread - try and find some heavy duty Gutterman polyester. Most material shops will stock it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Haha... Thanks Sir Stu. Shall do that route
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

And then apply loads of helicopter tape ( or similar) where the new strap will rub against your frame.
(Currently devising a solution to this, myself)
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Won't need anything too special for the needle but a thimble might be handy :wink: Don't skimp on thread - try and find some heavy duty Gutterman polyester. Most material shops will stock it.
Just got some. Wow. Didnt know thread could cost so much... bought the thimble and some curved and leather needles too... Here comes some sowing :-bd