SPOT Harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

SPOT Harness

Post by sean_iow »

My SPOT is usually mounted on my top tube but I'm now using a rucksack for some rides and thought I'd like to mount it on the shoulder strap. I've been trying to think up the best way to do this for months but had a sudden flash of inspiration at the weekend.

The harness is basically a strap round the spot and with another sewn to it which goes round the rucksack shoulder strap. The bit I couldn't think how to do all this time was how to stop it sliding down the strap. I had considered sewing one half of the buckle to the shoulder strap but then it would there all the time even when not in use. The inspiration was to fix the buckle to a longer length of webbing and sew this to the inside of the rucksack. It's then fed through the hydration sleeve on the shoulder strap, when not in use it can just hang inside the rucksack out of the way :grin:

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is also trying to make something similar.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Re: SPOT Harness

Post by ScotRoutes »

IME you'd be better with the spot either higher up the strap or, preferably, on the back of the pack as your body will obstruct the signal. More of a problem when cycling than walking as the body tends to be leaning forward.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The next thing to do is to give it a good test to make sure it transmits ok. I might as well have it on during my commute as I pay enough for the subscription :roll:

I did think about mounting it on the back but I like to have it somewhere I can see it so I know it's still there and can see it's working.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I tested it on my commute this morning. It actually sits higher up the strap than it looks like it would in the picture, it's very nearly on the top of my shoulder. Three tracking points were received although it looks like one may have been missed out between them, but I've been having issues with missing points recently anyway.

I can also confirm that it appears safe from damage in the event of an off... I Iost the front wheel turning left at junction (I assume there was diesel or something on the road) and slid across the tarmac :sad: The spot is unmarked... unlike my elbow which has a hole in it :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

can also confirm that it appears safe from damage in the event of an off... I Iost the front wheel turning left at junction (I assume there was diesel or something on the road) and slid across the tarmac :sad: The spot is unmarked... unlike my elbow which has a hole in it :roll:
Bloody good job you were wearing it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Bloody good job you were wearing it :wink:
The irony of the situation wasn't lost on me, the one time I'm wearing my SPOT I end up on the floor :lol: I think it's the first time I've crashed on tarmac and I'm surprised how much more it hurts than off road and how much damage I did. Luckily I wasn't wearing my Bearbones long-sleeve jersey or it would have a hole in it which would be much worse. I've also grazed and bruised my thigh so now have a limp as it hurts to walk on it.

A passer by who saw me crash stopped just after I got up, I was hobbling along the pavement pushing my bike. She asked if I was ok? Remembering our motto 'Stop Being Soft' I said I was fine and I'd just walk it off :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

sean_iow wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Bloody good job you were wearing it :wink:
The irony of the situation wasn't lost on me, the one time I'm wearing my SPOT I end up on the floor :lol: I think it's the first time I've crashed on tarmac and I'm surprised how much more it hurts than off road and how much damage I did. Luckily I wasn't wearing my Bearbones long-sleeve jersey or it would have a hole in it which would be much worse. I've also grazed and bruised my thigh so now have a limp as it hurts to walk on it.

A passer by who saw me crash stopped just after I got up, I was hobbling along the pavement pushing my bike. She asked if I was ok? Remembering our motto 'Stop Being Soft' I said I was fine and I'd just walk it off :lol:
I had my spot on the pack straps and found it was much worse signal wise. Once I put it back on to the top handle of the pack so it hung back ward it was fine again. I guess leaning forward slightly blocks the signal.