Seam Sealing Goretex

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Seam Sealing Goretex

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right...not strictly a MYOG topic but many if my waterproof/resistant gear needs seams resealing as some of the waterproof seams that were working so well are somewhat loose...

My goretex LoweAlpine which I am despwratley trying ti keep going and my Madison cycling pants which have some seams sealed around the bottoms area to stop the behind getting soggy.

What would you professionals suggest. Dont wanna spend an arm and a leg. Would prefer a tape so I hopefully get more of it and needs to do many a cm of seam sealing... maybe a couple cm thick/wide and if I can iron it on yhen maybe an advantage as I want a properly adhered job doing (pardon the grammar)...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Seam Sealing Goretex

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tape will probably produce a better* job than anything else. You'll need an iron, I find the self-adhesive stuff doesn't last as well.

https://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/haberd ... ed-Fabrics

*neater.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu... will order this stuff in that case. Only thing I'm slightly concerned bout using the iron over the shell like looking material is making a hole in it... if I place a cotton handkerchief between material and iron would it still iron on nicely... or am i just being OCD
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't have your iron too hot and above all, keep it moving. Something between the two wouldn't do any harm ... you'll be fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks. Perfectly timed input as I have my iron (probably too hot) and the garment/tape in front of me now... didnt keep it moving with an a4 paper in between. Lets see if I can make the next 'iron on' a bit better. Prqcticing on my madison pants (waterproof membrane around the backside only and rest is splashproof probs)...