MYOF....

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

MYOF....

Post by lune ranger »

It's harvest time here on the ranch and we're busy preserving our bounty. This year Mrs Ranger has invested in a dehydrator and this has got me thinking about making my own dehydrated meals for bikepacking trips.
A quick internet trawl has thrown up a load of resources and I've got some mash in the dehydrator as I write.
Do any of you make your own food so to speak? Any hints or tips?
I've been making power bars and energy drinks for a while now and this seems the logical progression.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ianfitz

Re: MYOF....

Post by ianfitz »

I do. use the oven on a very low setting as don't have a dehydrator.

Tips would be:

Weigh before and after - this is hove much boiling water you'll need to add

I've stuck to sloppy meals like daal and stews. chop things smaller than you would for regular eating.

I've also tended to add extra flavour, spices etc compared to what I would usually as read that the dehydration process can knock flavour back a bit.

No idea if thats the case as have never done a side-by-side trial. But the things I've made were tasty enough :-bd

ALthough dry food should last well I have always frozen mine, portioned up, in pour and store bags. That way its ready to use and I know its 'fresh'
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I bought a dehydrator (last year I think) but have only used it for a bit of fruit. Gave it to my dad to try and he still hasn't used it

Had always planned to use it when the trees give a whole load of fruit but just haven't got round to it!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ianfitz wrote:
Tips would be:

Weigh before and after - this is hove much boiling water you'll need to
That's great. Obvious when you think about it.
I've played around with a couple of things but the dehydrator is running constantly with the harvest at present.
Pretty excited though.
Do you use a pot cozy for cooking?
WSC
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

lune ranger wrote:
ianfitz wrote:
Tips would be:

Weigh before and after - this is hove much boiling water you'll need to
That's great. Obvious when you think about it.
I've played around with a couple of things but the dehydrator is running constantly with the harvest at present.
Pretty excited though.
Do you use a pot cozy for cooking?
It is one of those easy-when-you-know-the-answer things :-bd

pot cosy. Yes, initially made one out of reflectix but more recently hat/jacket/quilt.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm going to attempt some food dehydrating for future trips, starting probably with something simple like Mac n cheese. Can I ask what pour and store bags folks use for storing the food, then adding boiling water to rehydrate? I'm wondering if the big standard food bags are up to the job or if more substantial bags are needed? Thanks
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I just get mine out of home bargains (tight fisted I am) think they are about 80p for 8 ,they have a different feel to the standard food bags and also a flat bottom with markings up the side ,the hot water dosent have a effect on the plastic
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Word of warning ... DON'T use standard freezer bags, the scolding just isn't worth the weight saving. It's like juggling f*ckin lava :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

middleagedmadness wrote:I just get mine out of home bargains (tight fisted I am) think they are about 80p for 8 ,they have a different feel to the standard food bags and also a flat bottom with markings up the side ,the hot water dosent have a effect on the plastic
Tip-n-Zips! :-bd
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

middleagedmadness wrote:I just get mine out of home bargains (tight fisted I am) think they are about 80p for 8 ,they have a different feel to the standard food bags and also a flat bottom with markings up the side ,the hot water dosent have a effect on the plastic
Home Bargains it is, thanks!
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Word of warning ... DON'T use standard freezer bags, the scolding just isn't worth the weight saving. It's like juggling f*ckin lava :-bd
Lol, I'll bear that in mind! Thanks!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I've been rehydrating in a pot with a cozy. Messier than a bag but less waste and no leaks.
WSC
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

techno mail wrote: Tip-n-Zips! :-bd
Thems the ones