1m long carbon pole - 11g

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

1m long carbon pole - 11g

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Certainly not your average (well, not my average) carbon pole as this is made to flex rather than be rigid. This is a quick proto to see how flawed my thinking is but so far, so good. If things continue in this positive manner, I'm hoping for a full tarp set-up at less than 150g that provides full coverage.

You can ignore the heatshrink - that's there to stop the spigots having me in the eye when the thing shatters :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: 1m long carbon pole - 11g

Post by RIP »

Not thinking straight, today, for various reasons here, but a/ blimey! but b/ in what situ would a flexi pole be more beneficial (or 'not less beneficial') than a rigid one? Or maybe it's a parallel situ to the 'totally stiff frames are best' when in reality we all know that wibbly wobbly steel ones are MUCH nicer :wink:.

Oh, and c/ may I have a couple please :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Intention is to pass them through sleeves in the tarp and use them to form arches Reg. As a whole, it should produce a fairly stable shelter ... hopefully :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ho hum, of course ;). Sigh, never mind not thinking straight, am thinking totally bent today.. back to my cage...

My feeble excuse is have only used tarp for ages so no longer understand the concept of 'sleeves' etc.. my head was turned by the shapely 11g bit.. that'll (not) teach me a lesson..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Nice to see the idea coming along. How flexible? Reckon you'll need it to be 2 or 3 piece for what we talked about?

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Flexible enough Scott - you can bend a 3 section, 1m pole over 180 degrees. A longer pole would obviously offer more bend. As with a rigid pole, the spigots are going to be the weakest link but hopefully still plenty strong enough.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Is that Easton Ion you're using or a homebrew?

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If they work Stu reckon you can knock one up for my helium
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Shatters!

I have 6mm carbon pole. I haven't cut it yet. Heatshrink?
Can I just cut it with a hacksaw and use it or is there more to it than that?

Cheers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that Easton Ion you're using or a homebrew?
What do you think ... give a man a workshop :wink:
I have 6mm carbon pole. I haven't cut it yet. Heatshrink?
Can I just cut it with a hacksaw and use it or is there more to it than that?
Wrap it in masking tape and use a fine tooth hacksaw blade (32tpi). A quick rub round the cut edge with a fine file will finish it off. The heatshrink is on these because I'm bending them and it will prevent the spigiots popping off should it all go wrong. However, yes carbon will sometimes shatter ... are you using the 6mm for tarp poles? It's pretty thin (borderline too thin) if you are, so expect plenty of flexing and possible snapping, unless they're very short poles.
If they work Stu reckon you can knock one up for my helium
Doubtful Stuart - these are only 3mm (rod not tube). You'll need something like 8mm which is too rigid to bend safely.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

No bother Stu ,worth a ask
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Homebrew eh? Nice. Do you have to lay it up in a particular fashion to make it flex? Type of epoxy? Etc. Inquiring minds.

Greetz

S.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, for a tarp. One metre height. I chose 6mm because it seemed stiff enough in the shop. But I haven't tried it in the field. It won't be for gusty Welsh nights, more summer Alps. But if it works then I will get a thicker one for the UK.

Cheers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The spigots on any pole are the weak point Ant. You'd be hard pressed to break a 1 piece 6mm pole (if it's quality carbon) under notmal conditions but the joining spogots ... not so much. Angling the pole of vertical will also place the spigots under greater load, so aim to keep it straight with all the forces passing straight down through the pole, so as not to exert and sideways force through the joints. :-bd
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I'm going to keep it in one piece. A bit long for a bike but I ride an XL frame.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm going to keep it in one piece. A bit long for a bike but I ride an XL frame.
As a single length you'll be fine.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

I may be late to the party here, but i have some kites made by a NZ man/company called Peter Lynn.

These kites have a D shape and their leading edge is carbon rod. It seems readily available from kite hobby shops if you need it.

Its v flexible as the kitesort of folds up....

Ian
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Interesting...

I’d thought about something like this to use with my homemade bivy to give it more space inside.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Keep an eye out for a cheap fly fishing rod. Light, strong and can be taken apart. Just cut the handle off.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Tarp spread poles? How much?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tarp spread poles? How much?
They could be used for that ... cost, unsure yet until I get them fully sorted but I'll keep updating.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jBay wrote:Tarp spread poles? How much?
Now that's an interesting idea. I've seen them in pics for the Cloudcover tarp that goes with a WB Ridgerunner.

Will watch this thread with interest and if you want some dim's or a tester let me know (or if you want the tarp to frig around with I don't mind sending it over).

Edit:

Here: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/produ ... e-mod-kit/

So 71.5" is required length.

I wish I hadn't looked at Warbonnet's site now, got an itch for their stuff, particularly the new (to me) Thunderfly style tarps :roll:
jBay

Post by jBay »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
jBay wrote:Tarp spread poles? How much?
Now that's an interesting idea. I've seen them in pics for the Cloudcover tarp that goes with a WB Ridgerunner.

Will watch this thread with interest and if you want some dim's or a tester let me know (or if you want the tarp to frig around with I don't mind sending it over).

Edit:

Here: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/produ ... e-mod-kit/

So 71.5" is required length.

I wish I hadn't looked at Warbonnet's site now, got an itch for their stuff, particularly the new (to me) Thunderfly style tarps :roll:

Yes, I have the new Thunderfly and saw the spreaders on Shug, Thinking spreader vs peg/line might be weight neutral at 11g a metre
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've got a Superfly (as well :roll: as the Cloudburst) which is bombproof and great in grim / winter conditions. Those Thunderflys and the various sized variations look good. Used yours yet and any feedback? Get it form the States direct? I hesitate to ask what it all cost.

Sorry Stu - off on a tangent :oops:
jBay

Post by jBay »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:I've got a Superfly (as well :roll: as the Cloudburst) which is bombproof and great in grim / winter conditions. Those Thunderflys and the various sized variations look good. Used yours yet and any feedback? Get it form the States direct? I hesitate to ask what it all cost.

Sorry Stu - off on a tangent :oops:
Got it in the summer, no bad weather testing yet. Got the Warbonnet Eldarado (XLC with smaller bugnet) at the same time with some Dutchware Gear for rigging. Was due to the US on business so bought during a holiday sale but trip got cancelled so ended up shipping into the UK.

Importing some Dutchware Gear and will be selling in the UK soon.