Cassette tool - ways to hold it?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Cassette tool - ways to hold it?

Post by Rasta »

Last night, 20km from home on the South Downs, my freehub failed. Got back very, very late. Mavic its-4, fairly new, never submerged or pressure washed.

I always carry a cassette tool, with the intention of using a spanner from a garage. Mine takes a 1/2" socket drive or a spanner. Only ever used it for replacing broken spokes on loaded tours.

There is a casstte tool available NBT2 that fits in the frame wheel slot, but my frame is bolt through, so it won't work.

Anyone know of any bodges/hacks to get some turning force or locking on the cassette tool? I don't need or use a whip.

Interesting site http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-029/index.html
techno

Re: Cassette tool - ways to hold it?

Post by techno »

Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Just ordered the Unior on Amazon uk. £10. Looks a bit basic but will give it a try. Cheers for the reply.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I've been looking at these as well. The point of them obviously is to not carry a cassette tool and a bloody big spanner, but can they fetch a centrelock disc rotor off as well? If not does such a thing exist?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm probably being thick but how do you do the lockring back up with the Unior ?
techno

Post by techno »

restlessshawn wrote:I'm probably being thick but how do you do the lockring back up with the Unior ?
put it all together then back pedal?

EDIT: google is our friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcuUjEzsuT8
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

that's clever...in my head that wasn't going to work
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Wow. Impressive.

What is the part number for the junior? Can't find it on Amazon.... and would it work on horizontal drop of my Ogre? Or what would?

Would you post a review etc please as could well get one too.

Cheers

Sarah
Sarah
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Amazon
Unior URT201
Seller - SingletrackBikes
£6.99 + £3.99 pp
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Arrived.
It is tiny. Fits in the puncture repair kit.
It is weightless. On my scales.
Fitted.
Hard knock on the pedal.
Scunch! As the cassette ring loosened.
Brilliant.

This is now in the tool bag. Out goes the heavy tool that still needs a big spanner and whip.
It also has a 3.3 spoke key on the end.
I think it would do a centre lock disc brake if you were mechanically minded. Will try when I get the international bikepacking bicycle down.

Recommended. But maybe a faff if you are not tool minded.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Pickers wrote:I've been looking at these as well. The point of them obviously is to not carry a cassette tool and a bloody big spanner, but can they fetch a centrelock disc rotor off as well? If not does such a thing exist?
An NBT definitely doesn't work on a centrelock disc as (I think from memory) it bottoms out on the axle. If that Unior tool has a bigger hole then it will probably work on a centrelock disc rotor. You might have to spin the wheel backwards though (is that right? My brain isn't working).
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have a Pamir Hypercracker. It's very similar and works really well, possibly better because it already has a rubber protector on the lug that jams against the frame. It's no longer made but I managed to buy one for a friend from eBay so keep a look out.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Rasta wrote:Last night, 20km from home on the South Downs, my freehub failed. Got back very, very late. Mavic its-4, fairly new, never submerged or pressure washed.

I always carry a cassette tool, with the intention of using a spanner from a garage. Mine takes a 1/2" socket drive or a spanner. Only ever used it for replacing broken spokes on loaded tours.

There is a casstte tool available NBT2 that fits in the frame wheel slot, but my frame is bolt through, so it won't work.

Anyone know of any bodges/hacks to get some turning force or locking on the cassette tool? I don't need or use a whip.

Interesting site http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-029/index.html
you can buy a fixed tooth sprocket that bolts to your disk mount,turns your bike into a fixie but you loose a rear brake,but better than walking home
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132393950604

Not had this problem before, but always like to be prepared. For £6 and a few grams it's a no-brainer. If it sits at the bottom of my top tube bag for the rest of time, great. If could also make me very popular!