Ortlieb tarp fabric, spec/source?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Ortlieb tarp fabric, spec/source?

Post by jameso »

I'm quite a fan of the Ortlieb accessory pocket and have a sketch of a simple harness I could make to carry a light dry bag with it. Any idea what the std Ortlieb pannier material is and where to get something like it? I want something fairly stiff that I don't need to create an edge with, just cut to shape. I've found sources of 610gsm PVC tarp fabric which looks close, sounds a bit heavy though.

is it going to be a nightmare to sew webbing to it in small areas? Big needle and a thimble (coin!)?
sean_iow

Re: Ortlieb tarp fabric, spec/source?

Post by sean_iow »

I made a bike bag out of this stuff

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/PS48-Heavy-Duty-PVC

It sewed quite easily on my machine but as you say it is heavy. The bag and matching wheel bags were to keep the mud off the hire car post ride so weight wasn't an issue. They bags were big though, a smaller area will obviously weigh proportionately less. The stuff I had is sort of indestructible. How much do you need? I've got a small bit left so I can cut a bit off if you know the size needed. There's pics of it here under a ITT accessories thread.

Edit, found the thread

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 13&t=10220
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Sean, that looks like the right stuff then, ~600-650gsm. Good work on the bags... I'm after black but thanks for the offer. Luckily for my sewing skills / dislike of needles I only need to sew a few tab areas :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I bought orange at the time as it matches my bike but mainly as it was the cheapest colour, I guess orher than for the RNLI there's not much demand for orange :lol: they actually build lifeboats here on the Island and I've got a friend works there. People who see the bags assume that's where I got the fabric but this time it's legit.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Jameso I can get you trailer curtain material if you want to use that ,it's thicker than the material on my ortlieb handle bar pack ,but it's free if you let me know how much you need ,can be brought down to WRT or posted ,only problem is it's a dark blue and could do with knowing today or by lunch tomorrow as the gaffers don't like it much when I repropriate out of our stores
EDIT - just measured it and it's 0.5 mm thick
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks MAM, a kind offer of work stock misappropriation : ) but sorry to be fussy and turn down a good offer, it does need to be black though. If I'm going to put the time into it that my sewing skills need I need the finished item to look right. Will look up trailer curtain material though, good tip :-bd 0.5mm is about what the 600-ish GSM or pannier body material is, the accessory pocket is much thinner.

edit, quick google / if of interest to anyone else - truck curtain sides seem to be 900gsm
middleagedmadness

Not a problem , would offer you more colours but the company have changed all their curtains to blue ,to be honest I m quite happy to give it away as it's one job I totally detest doing (repairing curtains ) ,you should be able to get it from any truck spares place , also if you don't want to sew webbing cut some smaller strips of and use a hot air gun and weld them into place to make the loops ,if done with a bit of patience you'd think it came from the factory like it
jameso

Post by jameso »

Top tip, thanks - simply melt the surfaces and stick 'em? Actually if that's possible a few offcuts would be great to test if you were able to post?
middleagedmadness

Not a problem I'll cut them now pm me your address and I'll pop them in the post when I finish shift Tuesday night
,I've cut you enough that when rolled and stuck will make about a 5/6 l dry bag and a long strip you can cut in half and stick on to make a daisy chain ,you need a hot air gun with at least enough output as one of those paint stripper guns ,a hair dryer is to weak to get the material to bond enough to hold weight ,quickly just made one up at work and the daisy chain easily holds 1kg
jameso

Post by jameso »

Brilliant, thanks - will PM now :-bd
middleagedmadness

Posting in the morning James only just got home from work