Seatpack improvements - simple, but effective

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Seatpack improvements - simple, but effective

Post by belugabob »

I've been using an Alpkit Airlok Tapered dry bag in my Wilcat Tiger Seat pack for some time now, but was never really satisfied with how the seat pack straps sat, on top of the dry bag closure buckles...

ImageMessy straps by belugabob, on Flickr

So, a bit of work with the sewing machine, a length of webbing and the appropriate buckles, provided a much neater solution...

ImageNew Strap, step 1 by belugabob, on Flickr

Clip the fixed end of the strap, to one of the dry bag buckles...

ImageNew Strap, step 2 by belugabob, on Flickr

Clip in the other end, then cinch down

ImageNew Strap, step 3 by belugabob, on Flickr

Put it back in the seat pack - that's better!

ImageNew Strap, step 4 by belugabob, on Flickr

Now, how many grammes have I just added? :???:
Nevis

Re: Seatpack improvements - simple, but effective

Post by Nevis »

Isn't that how it's supposed to be used anyway?

I'm sure mine came with the necessary strap already. Going to have to rummage in the garage now just to check I've got an overactive imagination.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Hmmm,

The main picture on the Alpkit page does suggest that it comes with a single strap, for attaching to the saddle rails.
Mine may have been supplied with this (but I had it a few years and my memory is become rather suspect) and I may have removed it, due to using the bag in my Wildcat harness.
Some of the pictures further down the page - particularly those which show it mounted to the bike - suggest that two straps may be supplied.
Other picture don't hint at a second strap, and show the bag closed in the way that I used to close mine.

The strap (or straps) may be hiding somewhere, but I can't help thinking that I'd have used the supplied ones in the same way as the one that I've since made.

I'm wondering if these have been added to the package since I got mine...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've had mine some years and it didn't come with straps. The double ended dry bags I have did come with a pair of straps. I think the make of buckles has changed over the years as well? so not all straps will fit onto the closure of all bags,
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Had a look at mine last night. I realised I've been using it differently of late. Mine definitely came with two straps, one to hold the roll top as in your mod and the other to strap to the saddle. Funny enough, of late, I have been using a much larger saddle pack and sliding the alpkit bag in. Means I don't have to remove the luggage from my bike, I just pull the inner when at camp. Anyway, in this config I found it easier to clip the roll top to itself as it works as a pull handle.

Anyway, apologies, I hadn't meant to detract from your good work!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Nevis wrote:Had a look at mine last night. I realised I've been using it differently of late. Mine definitely came with two straps, one to hold the roll top as in your mod and the other to strap to the saddle. Funny enough, of late, I have been using a much larger saddle pack and sliding the alpkit bag in. Means I don't have to remove the luggage from my bike, I just pull the inner when at camp. Anyway, in this config I found it easier to clip the roll top to itself as it works as a pull handle.

Anyway, apologies, I hadn't meant to detract from your good work!
No worries - it all adds to the discussion.