Pole extender - boring but useful.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Pole extender - boring but useful.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I made a couple of these for people at the end of last year ... then promptly forgot all about them.

A fixed length pole can sometimes be a bit of a pain and maybe limit pitch options and experimentation. Trouble is, carbon doesn't lend itself well to adjustable poles, so a simple slip-on pole extender could be the answer. As I say, it's a bit boring but simplicity often is. In this guise it extends any 'standard' 12mm diameter pole by 200mm. Overall it's 300mm long and weighs 24g and you can use it either on top or at the base of your pole. I shall add them to the shop shortly should anyone like one ... I can obviously make them in other sizes / lengths too.

May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Re: Pole extender - boring but useful.

Post by benp1 »

Good to know, I asked about these a while ago and then didn't do anything about it

what's the trailstar optimum pole height again?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For the centre in a regular 'igloo' type pitch, I find 120cm right Ben.
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

So am I correct to think this great idea will enable me to tweak my Pole a bear pick and mix to get the perfect length required to pitch my cheap Chinese tent? Is it adjustable up to 200mm? Very interested if it does
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
For the centre in a regular 'igloo' type pitch, I find 120cm right Ben.
Perfect, thanks. I'll probably get around to ordering one at some point then (as I have 100cm and 110cm poles currently)

Did you ever get around to doing something as a good tip protector? (my version is rather diy)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you ever get around to doing something as a good tip protector?
Yes (surprisingly) I found some very nice slip-on rubber feet / tops ... I will add those to the site too Ben.
So am I correct to think this great idea will enable me to tweak my Pole a bear pick and mix to get the perfect length required to pitch my cheap Chinese tent? Is it adjustable up to 200mm? Very interested if it does
No Scott, not adjustable. As I said earlier, carbon doesn't lend itself to adjustable poles. This is simply an extender - in this case it adds 200mm.

I had a long play with one of those Chinese Lunar clones - very fussy about pole height. Even 10mm will make an awful difference to whether it pitches well or not. I've forgotton what I concluded the ideal length to be but Matt will know as it was his I was playing with.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Pole is in the loft happy to measure it if needed :-bd
scott of the woods

"No Scott, not adjustable. As I said earlier, carbon doesn't lend itself to adjustable poles. This is simply an extender - in this case it adds 200mm.

I had a long play with one of those Chinese Lunar clones - very fussy about pole height. Even 10mm will make an awful difference to whether it pitches well or not. I've forgotton what I concluded the ideal length to be but Matt will know as it was his I was playing with."

Thanks Stuart for replying i've been using an ali extendable pole but its heavy and a large diameter, so been playing around with the carbon pick & mix using 8 sections making a length of 1225mm
Matt wrote:Pole is in the loft happy to measure it if needed :-bd
Hi Matt, yes if you could measure when you get chance that would great,
i think this is t the one I've got, looks like a Lunar
0.65KG 3F UL Gear Rodless Tent Ultralight 15D Silicone Single Person Camping Tent 1 Person 3 Season With Footprint 3Colors

Cheers Scott
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just been measured by the official BearBones adjudicator

1260mm

:-bd
scott of the woods

Matt wrote:Just been measured by the official BearBones adjudicator

1260mm

:-bd
Cheers Matt, I'll have a play and may get one of these extenders to get to the correct length :-bd