Bar Bag Lifter

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jaminb

Bar Bag Lifter

Post by jaminb »

Help please

I am struggling with my new bike to load the handle bar bag.

Hopefully the image shows the problem - the pack is rubbing on the front wheel going over the lumpy stuff.

Has anyone come up with a solution to lift the bar bag/harness?

Options include; TLS; stack one bag on another; or add a riser stem.

However I do like a single dry bag with all my dry gear wrapped inside a semi coiled AK dirtbag. My riding position is comfortable and TLS is just not a winter option.

I have started experimenting with plastic drainpipe

65mm version
80mm version

I have spoken to Wildcat and they have advised against my solution in case the pipe were to slip out. I intend to lash the pipe in place but wondered if there is any easier solution I have missed.

Assuming my idea has legs suggestions please for items to be stored in the hole!
whitestone

Re: Bar Bag Lifter

Post by whitestone »

Use a bag with smaller diameter but longer? That bag just looks too wide to me. Something like the Revelate SaltyRoll perhaps - it's 15 litres in size (having converted from the stupid cubic inches :roll: ) and 18cm in diameter.

Here's one mounted on a Wildcat Lion harness on my Solaris

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, if TLS isn't viable then a different shaped bag of the same / similar capacity.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

My first thought is wow that's a monster pack!!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mike wrote:My first thought is wow that's a monster pack!!
That occured to me too,. What size is it jaminb and can't you spread the load around the bike as I found having a lot of weight on the front made technical stuff, bikehike and lifting over gates so much harder.
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

Sorry for the hijack but is there anyone in the UK that sells the salty roll? Ta
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

scott of the woods wrote:Sorry for the hijack but is there anyone in the UK that sells the salty roll? Ta
I got mine from backcountry.scot https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... saltyroll/
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

whitestone wrote:
scott of the woods wrote:Sorry for the hijack but is there anyone in the UK that sells the salty roll? Ta
I got mine from backcountry.scot https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... saltyroll/
Cheers mate I'll go and look now :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A double decker bar set up is possible. This was when I first started using bags instead of racks/panniers and didn't have a seat bag. It's two 8 l alpkit bags. The upper bag is supported by a pair of bar ends mounted inboard of the shifters etc.
Image2012_0414westhighlandway0011 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagebike 004 by youngray50, on Flickr
slarge

Post by slarge »

You could use spare stems or bar ends to try to lift the pack, by attaching them to the bars and using them to lift the bar bag up and forward. Probably not very elegant, but could work.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote:Use a bag with smaller diameter but longer? That bag just looks too wide to me.
/End of thread
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Flashligh ... w7-RcIx1BA

This but pointed 20degrees ish from the floor to push the bag forward and up slightly. But if be using and narrower bag
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

jamiep wrote:https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Flashligh ... w7-RcIx1BA

This but pointed 20degrees ish from the floor to push the bag forward and up slightly. But if be using and narrower bag
Go one of these. Not sure I would want to rely on its sturdiness for any more than 100g or so.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Try an alpkit 13l bag or modify some cheapo ebay Tri bars which lets me run a similar setup with suspension forks. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2011320489
Never knowingly under biked...
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Planet X are doing those 3T extension bars for £3, and whilst being the ugliest thing that company have ever produced, thye might solve your bag stacking problem. Probably even less elegant than the drainpipe, which you could fill with HME and dockyard confetti, then you have an improvised claymore in case zombies find your bivi site...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest, what have you got in the bag? A packing re-jig might be all that's required?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

L bend a pannier rack bar (that one that attaches to the top of a rear pannier to near the seat post) and then bolt it through the fork mudguard eyelet. Simple but effective
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Thanks All

Unfortunately the Salty was out of stock so I spent £23 quid (inc. VAT and postage) on these

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/20L-moto ... ml#SID=117

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bags ... ml#SID=117

The 12l is just too small for my winter set up I can just about squeeze a dirt bag and a pipe dream in but I think will be fine for the summer with numo and quilt.

The 20l is 100mm narrow in girth than my previous bag and so is sitting much higher. Unfortunately it is 2.5 times heavier than the Salty at a whopping 425g but I think it will outlast my winter bivvy days and will save any more experiments with drainage pipe!

Thanks again for the advise - does it always come back to TLS?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

does it always come back to TLS?
Not always but quite often.

Although, two people could carry exactly the same items, for example - sleeping bag, mat and tarp but there would / could be a massive difference in weight / bulk between the two. One could easily be twice as heavy / bulky as the other but they'd both serve exactly the same purpose. You mention, Dirtbag mat - that possibly accounts for a lot of bulk.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Thanks Stu. What would be your recommended Exped mat for winter use if money was no object ( if only).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think many of us have gone through the "How the **** do I reduce bulk/weight?" cycle. It seems impossible at first but once you've figured out what works for you it's just a case of saving the pennies.

Standard response about mats is either Thermarest NeoAir or Exped Synmat/Downmat. It seems like the tapered versions of the latter are being dropped.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What would be your recommended Exped mat for winter use if money was no object ( if only).
As Bob says, Exped or Thermarest generally. Well worth having a good shop around especially for Exped as you can pick up the Synmats for a good price. Just make sure whatever you buy has insulation and isn't simply a posh lilo :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

jaminb wrote:...does it always come back to TLS?
TLS for new players...

- pack your normal stuff; go out and have fun
- on return, make 2 piles of stuff - one for used, one for unused. The pile of unused stuff...good starting candidates to cull. Be ruthless and kill your darlings.
- go out and have fun a bit more taking only the used stuff - make your 2 piles of stuff each time on return
- you should notice the "didn't use" pile is shrinking
- after a few times out you'll get to a point where you're only packing stuff you use

Bear in mind you may find things like spare brake pads or multitool or chain links keep ending up in the "didn't use it" pile...use your best judgement here.

The upside of TLS...as there is less sh!t to sift through, you'll find things quicker and your level of faff should diminish.

Greetz

S.