MYOG DCF double ended dry bag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

drjon

MYOG DCF double ended dry bag

Post by drjon »

pretty cool to try this out....id stalled due to the cost of the materials, but eventually caved in...

https://drj0nswanderings.wordpress.com/ ... d-dry-bag/

ianfitz

Re: MYOG DCF double ended dry bag

Post by ianfitz »

Looks nice :-bd

Are you using that inside another bag? If not what are you using for abrasion resistance?

Cuban is strong but terrible at abrasion. My own experience with a Cuban bag up front saw it worn through in a couple of places under both straps in one 20 hour ride.

A couple of strips of something nylon-like where the straps sit with make it much better.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I like that :-bd Am I right in thinking that as the seams are all stuck down with the tape (no needle holes) that it's waterproof? Where did you get your material and tape from? Apologies if it's in the article and I missed it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

sean_iow wrote:I like that :-bd Am I right in thinking that as the seams are all stuck down with the tape (no needle holes) that it's waterproof? Where did you get your material and tape from? Apologies if it's in the article and I missed it.
I know extreme textile.de sell the tape
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks, obvious really as that's where I get my materials from #-O
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone's thinking. they'd like a go at that but don't fancy the cost of cuben - Tyvek would work. Not quite as light but can be bonded with contact adhesive (no sewing required) and not that heavy either. Although not 100% waterproof, it would be waterproof enough in this instance for the contents to remain perfectly dry. As Ian says, cuben is rubbish when it comes to rubbin' n' scraping unless you move up to 50g / m territory - but then there's largely no point in using cuben :wink:

Good work Jon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
drjon

Post by drjon »

thanks guys - yeah, extremtextil.

ian, re abrasion resistance. the way i have the harness mounted i can avoid abrasion on the dry bag. i use a revelate harness ive slightly modified so that it has 4 point attachment on my jones loops...it doesnt move around even on rough terrain so doesnt seem to generate too much friction under the straps. ive been using cuben dry bags and indeed a one off cuben sweet roll for years and not had any issues...but it does need care! good idea on the reinforcement. i'll see how this one lasts and might try that.

yep, water proof.