SPOT Tracker Mount

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

SPOT Tracker Mount

Post by Dave Barter »

I've managed to make a V0.1 SPOT mount designed to fit in the Garmin bar/stem mount. It needs a bit more work but I'd welcome feedback

Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: SPOT Tracker Mount

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work Dave. As a non spot user my input is largely irrelevant but that generally doesn't stop me - so, would the use of shockcord rather than velcro straps be an advantage? More secure, easier to adjust, lighter?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yes possibly. Those velcro straps were all I had. The one advantage of them is that they fit through the SPOT slots nicely. V2 will only need one strap as i'm going to upturn the sides instead of using a second strap to secure.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The one advantage of them is that they fit through the SPOT slots nicely.
In that case, the straps could well be the best bet ... I hadn't realised there were slots in the spot casing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Dave, this is great - think I need to learn 3D CAD again (last time I did was almost a couple of decades ago...!) and send you files :lol:

Without knowing the spot particularly well, like you said upturned sides would be good and hence only one arm needed. Can you use what looks like the "screw hole" bits - the metal turny thingies which look like they hold the battery compartment as a locator for the spot on the mount? I'm sure you could also use less strap as you can use the spot casing slots and not need to go over the top -this might be worse but an option to consider for moment.

Maybe include a couple of extra slots on the mount for redundancy so if the garmin twist mount section fails, you can resort to cable ties quite easily?

Just a couple of thoughts for now.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We've moved it on the upturned sides already. Just testing printing several options but it is nearly there. Hope to have a finished product in a week or so
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I simply put self adhesive velcro on the top tube close to the stem and some on the back of the spot. Then a cord to secure it. Done.

But... having it so close to the GPS there could be issues with tracking. My GPS seems to mess with it a bit. Mine is a gen 2 spot.

Never came off by accident but is plucked very easily.

Once the spot needing is done (not a frequent user at all), I just pick the velcro off the top tube. With a bit of luck it comes off sans spirits.