New stove, it's very dull though.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Re: New stove, it's very dull though.

Post by middleagedmadness »

Any idea on lead times for the new stove Stu ( and cost)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any idea on lead times for the new stove Stu ( and cost)
No ... but I shall get it all sorted asap. Sorry for the delay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Not a problem best waiting till end of month anyway wife's getting a bit arsey with the amount of deliveries over the last month or so :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

UPDATE: Just working on the tapered windshield template that'll allow it it work with both 400/450ml and 650/700ml mugs. Just about cracked it but it's bloody cold in the workshop so brew making is slowing progress slightly :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Quality work takes time, craftsmanship takes even longer. Or something like that. :smile: :-bd.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Not a bother ,enjoy the brews don't need one for a few weeks yet
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting. Had a bit of a fiddle around with the Hyperstove. Certainly very different to the 22g jobby I'm used to. Chucked in the suggested 15ml of fuel (bioethanol in my case) and set fire to it. Took about the usual minute to bloom, then stuck a 750ml (I always thought it was 650ml, oh well) pot with with about 400ml of water in it. Oh, it's gone out, not sure why. Re-ignited and it stayed that way. After a total 9.5 minutes the fuel had disappeared from the reservoir, but the wick area continued burning until 11.5 minutes. I'd say the water ended up "hot" but not a rolling boil. The 22g usually gets me about 7 minutes on 30ml of fuel and a rolling boil in that time (of possibly a bit less water). So it's certainly amazingly economical compared to the 22g. I'll continue tinkering with less water and see what quantity will get a full boil. Not converted to cone windbreak yet cos I lurve my rectangular paper-thin Ti sheet so much, but no doubt it'll grow on me eventually. It's all good fun anyway, and compliments to Stuart's ingenuity as ever :smile:.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You're heating a lot of Ti for not much water Reg. A smaller capacity mug / pot should yield better results from the new 'un ... although I appreciate that's not really a practical solution.

With regard to
it's gone out, not sure why
- leave it a few seconds longer before adding pot.

Ooh and I won't pass comment on the 'bio fuel' :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"heating a lot of Ti for not much water" - good point thanks. Trouble is a smaller pot doesn't have room for all my kitchen :-). Decisions, decisions...

Just going for another go now...

RIP

Post by RIP »

Re mug size, now look what you've gone and blinking done, I've got to downsize and re-design my whole bivi kitchen now! :grin:. Then again I suppose this is far more preferable than re-designing our house kitchen, which hasn't been updated since we moved in 27 years ago; in fact it's probably not changed since 1875 when it was built. Please don't give Mrs Perrin ideas.

Went for 300ml of water this time, plenty enough for porridge and ovaltine, cooled down to representative 10c. Used my Ti windshield and patent cardboard-and-foil insulating base. Bloomed really well after 1m15s, pot mounted, fast rolling boil at 9m16s with reservoir just empty, and fuel totally finished by 10m49s.

So I'll have to get a 400ml Mytimug, a smaller plastic yoghurt pot to fit in it, and jiggle everything else around inside - spork/matches/porridge/etc - and see how I get along with that setup.

Of course as all you expert metallurgists will tell us, Ti is a much worse heat conductor than ally as well - its says here 118 Btu/(ft h F) against 11 Btu/(ft h F).
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Of course as all you expert metallurgists will tell us, Ti is a much worse heat conductor than ally as well - its says here 118 Btu/(ft h F) against 11 Btu/(ft h F).
Very true Reg, Ti is on par with stainless. By rights, we should all really be using aluminium pots - much better and generally don't produce food burning hot-spots like Ti :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote:Of course as all you expert metallurgists will tell us, Ti is a much worse heat conductor than ally as well - its says here 118 Btu/(ft h F) against 11 Btu/(ft h F).
20g weight penalty over the alpkit jobby, but half the price: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 00ml-p8150
could you get away with 300 ml for a 7g saving: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/aluminium-m ... 81097.html
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheers Techno - have already pressed the AK button :sad:. Then again, the ten quid job is ally of course, and not sure it has a lid? Thanks for the tip-off though, maybe grab one of those as well and see how that performs....

Ta, 'Reg'

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stand by your post box Reg ... in the spirit of experimentation obviously.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oooh, goody, ta. I love surprises, me! :smile:.

PS> That slab of concrete in our yard in those photos is rumoured to cover a monsterly deep well. I really must pluck up the courage to lift it up one of these days.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Did what I was told and packed some stuff for our hols for next week. Unpacked it again after I was informed that 3 pairs of bamboo socks, a 22g stove, and a Steripen wasn't applicable for a family hols. Packed some other stuff, and now have half an hour "free pass". So back to the stove situation. Now armed with Mytimug 400, how can we cram everything into it and have enough for, say, a 2-day WRT's breakfasts? Almost managed it:

Everything goes in apart from the porridge and ovaltine.... There's probably a way to squeeze that in somehow though, pouring it in loose would be an amusing way perhaps...

For 293g total weight we have enough to cook TWO days breakfasts hot food and drink: Mytimug, plastic eating pot, conical windshield, insulating pad, only 38ml fuel, matches, spork, two lots of porridge and ovaltine. Just add stream water. Another 25g could be knocked off by substituting the rectangular Ti windshield.

My existing porridge pot for the Mytimug 750 obviously didn't fit, but as luck would have it we used some cream for lunch and amazingly the pot was exactly the right size. It's even got millilitres measurements marked on it for super-accuracy!

I reckon that's my limit using "normal" items, short of using a Ti Honeystove plus sticks and a drinks can cookpot picked up from the hedge (the can not the Honeystove), or possibly a chunk of esbit.

Next stage is build recent nice BBT parcel into the system.

So, absolutely not dull at all, I've had hours of entertainment from this. But then I'm easily pleased.

Right, back to doing what I'm told.....

'R'
Last edited by RIP on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd love to know the brand of cream that gives the right size pot to nest in the myti mug? That's the sort of thing I find exciting :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I'd rather not keep you in suspense Sean, and I knew you'd be interested in those sort of all-important technical details :grin: - it was Waitrose Essentials 300ml. I know, I know, I was only in there 'cos the ice-cream is 30%-off.

In the interests of scientific experimental completeness I should say I'm aware that I could shave 293g off the 293g by not having breakfast at all and just nipping into Spar.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I shall track some down, obviously only for the pot and I won't enjoy eating the cream but I will eat it so as not to waste it :wink: the same can't be said for when I made a cat can stove, we don't have a cat so I had to buy the cat food especially. Perhaps I chose the wrong flavour, after all I only wanted the tin it came in, but I cannot imagine a scenario where I would of eaten the contents. If it was life or death I think I'd just write I've gone with my dignity intact' on the top of the tin and call it a day :lol: how do cats eat that stuff.

Skipping breakfast is OK but it depends on the ride. On the wrt I imaging the breakfast is all part of the rich tapestry of elements that make up the whole.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Help!! Stobbit Sean, stop encouraging me man! I'm obsessed. Good job we're hidden away down here in an obscure MYOG thread out of harms way.

"so I had to buy the cat food especially" - :lol:. Now that's dedication to the cause.

OK, I'VE GOT TO GET EVERYTHING INTO THAT BLASTED 400ml MUG.

Righhhhtt........ look, gimme a break, just slightly change the objective to ONE (BaM, say) night out, hot food and drink, made using "standard" utensils (stove, pot, spoon, etc).

HAHHAHAAAAAAAAA!! It can be done! Swap out the conical windbreak for the Ti sheet (a massive 7g, half of which is the paperclip..hhmm....). And I was rummaging about in the cutlery drawer and found a FOLDING plastic mini-spoon which is still recognisably a spoon - at 5.4cm long and 1.5g. Brilliant! Obviously halve the amount of food.... and..... YE-E-E-SSSSS! Get in there! Total weight down to a creditable 178g.... Of course now you also only need half the fuel (18ml) for one day, and lose that overweight paperclip too to get 156g. Oh, and unlike Masterchef, it DOES get better than this because that includes an additional tea bag now, so I can have porridge and TWO drinks. No photo, no proof, so here you go:

How DOES it all fit in there? It's like some sort of insane bikepacking TARDIS:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good work there :-bd it's nice when it all fits together like that, especially when some of it is food as it means there's less to repack which helps as packing in the field never seems as easy as when at home beforehand.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think the most impressive bit is the ridiculously small amount of fuel that Stuart's Hyperstove needs - 18ml for over 10 mins burn. Astounding.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

And the longer the trip the more that extra efficiency pays off. Or on a shorter trip it's more brews for the same amount of fuel you used to carry. :grin:
Jonah846

Post by Jonah846 »

Are you making these mate. Trying to cut weight on my bicycle and ditch the gas bottle. Im too lazy to make my own :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »