Wildcat Tiger playing with a dropper

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SimpleSi

Wildcat Tiger playing with a dropper

Post by SimpleSi »

I've gone across to a dropper post but Im loath to give up my faithful wildcat tiger for some over-engineered american thing :o
I've ordered a wolf tooth valais, has anybody any experience modifying this pack to play nicely with a dropper?

Looking at it I will need a narrower strap/buckle so that it doesn't overlap the valais then try and encourage the whole thing to sit higher up the seatpost?
Simple
mat_swan

Re: Wildcat Tiger playing with a dropper

Post by mat_swan »

https://flic.kr/p/N5pGox

I made my own- the lower is hollow and has a larger internal diameter than the reverb collar so I didn't lost much drop.

Not the best picture I'm afraid, but hopefully you'll get the picture.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes, but I’ve no picture to hand. It worked ok. But not great.

Now have a PR Albert which works as intended.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How did you make that Mat?

My fix is a bit heath Robinson and limits travel (pipe insulation)
giryan

Post by giryan »

I just used mine on the dropper regardless, and didn't drop so as far as to hit the buckle :)
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Borrowed 'calibration build' time on work 3d printer.

The upper quarter or so clamps onto the reverb. It's not a perfect fit- it can sometimes take a go or two to get an idea of how the tolerances on a part like that stack up so I went a little oversize and it's lined with electrical tape. I thought that might be kinder to the stanchion too.

The rest gives 'wrap around' height. Had to use extra velcro to extend the straps.

Construction is in two parts. Each half is identical and therefore rotationally symmetric so the locating bumps have matching holes on the opposite side. Zip ties hold it together until you get the wildcat strap round it. Reverb enduro collar above it stops it sliding up.

Small points of note:
- the bit that rests on the reverb top cap has to shaped to not rest on the wiper seal.
- needs a groove in the outside for the post remote hose
- the wildcat strap.may be enough to hold the whole thing together but then it would fall apart if you took it off....

Only used it once since 2016s bb200 so haven't got around to a mk2 but I was planning on adding threaded inserts so it clamps together itself meaning you can lose the enduro collar and maybe slimming it down a bit. Possibly slightly over engineered at present.

Also got to figure out how to make it fit the externally routed fox transfer I have since bought as the mechanism on that will.probably get in the way.

I can take a picture of the part(s) when I get home if you're interested?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I noticed on Singletrack that Wolf Components do a collar (Valais 25) that you attach your saddlebag to. It’s not cheap at $25 and you lose a bit of drop but it might work for you
SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi »

I bit the bullet and bought the wolftooth values, just need to trim down the seat post strap on my saddle bag and i think we are good to go. :-bd
Simple