Bothy boots

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Bothy boots

Post by Borderer »

Not really made by me, but sourced and assembled perhaps....

I have very poor circulation, and the last time we camped out sub-zero I had very cold feet which meant I couldn't get to sleep for ages. I lay there dreaming of down booties to keep my feet warm. When we got back I did some research but the cheapest I could find were £20 'tent mules' that have no down around the ankle area at all. I realised that I wanted something I could wear inside my sleeping bag and also keep my feet warm in a bothy, but not something to have to change when going outside to the toilet or whatever.

There are many kinds of down slippers sold, but all for the female market it seems and as such they have the most awful patterns and colours. So I came up with an idea to make an overboot from an old tarp that would hide the offending slippers while keeping them clean and dry when the need arose. I figured a thin sole of some sort would be a good idea too. I was busy researching this plan when I found these - they do exactly what I wanted, cost pennies and the tarp gets to live to see another day.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylish-Unis ... 2749.l2649

Here are an example of the down slippers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Duvet ... 2749.l2649

I got one pair of slippers second hand and one new so the price for two pairs of slippers and overshoes was just over £20 or £10 each.

Here are the slippers and overboot together....
L1200887.jpg
(417.5 KiB) Downloaded 2534 times
Weight is 200g for the slippers and 135g for the overboots.
Zippy

Re: Bothy boots

Post by Zippy »

Borderer wrote:but not something to have to change when going outside to the toilet or whatever.
For my bothy boots, slightly different to yours, I bought a pack of these when popping outside into the wet. They weigh nowt (honestly, put them on the scales, and you'll need a druggie set of microscales to weigh them!), but keep the bothy booties clean/dry-ish.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yeah I did think about those. I have a load here already even, but in a way that is the problem - I know them well from work and I know that they are rubbish! They get ripped really easily underneath which would defeat the object. They also wouldn't hide the love hearts ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Oh yes, they're very disposable!
Mart

Post by Mart »

I pick mine up from the local swimming pool who have a dispenser full of them :wink:
2924 miles per Gallon
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

One of the reasons I didn't go with the disposables was that the down boots have very thin soles, so I think you would feel the cold through them on a concrete bothy floor. The idea of disposable plastic items also doesn't sit well with me.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Borderer wrote: The idea of disposable plastic items also doesn't sit well with me.
Yet buying some items from China that must have an element of slave labour in order to manufacture said item so cheap, then shipped across the world via a method of transport using unsustainable natural resources is fine…. :roll:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Zippy wrote:
Borderer wrote: The idea of disposable plastic items also doesn't sit well with me.
Yet buying some items from China that must have an element of slave labour in order to manufacture said item so cheap, then shipped across the world via a method of transport using unsustainable natural resources is fine…. :roll:
Hm. I don't believe that your disposable overshoes will have been made under any different circumstances. You throw yours away each time and I reuse mine.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »