Help with a seatpack

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Help with a seatpack

Post by Teetosugars »

Granted, I've not made this, but I want to try and modify it a bit, to stop it swinging side to side so much..

ImageUntitled by Nick Wallis, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Nick Wallis, on Flickr

So, has anyone come up with a way of doing this?

I know my smaller Porcelain Rocket one has a plastic insert in the "nose" of it, to give it some rigidity, but don't even know where to start on buying plastic suitable from..

Also, I'd like to replace the Velco with a wide bit a la Revelate/ Wildcat etc

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Yours.

Cluelessincheshire..
Last edited by Teetosugars on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whitestone

Re: Help with a seatpack

Post by whitestone »

It's the straps around the seat rails that limit the swinging not the velcro strap around the seat post. The latter is simply a pivot point .
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

whitestone wrote:It's the straps around the seat rails that limit the swinging not the velcro strap around the seat post. The latter is simply a pivot point .
Ah, that makes sense..

Any ideas on improving this? :ugeek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Teetosugars wrote:
whitestone wrote:It's the straps around the seat rails that limit the swinging not the velcro strap around the seat post. The latter is simply a pivot point .
Ah, that makes sense..

Any ideas on improving this? :ugeek:
You need to make the "slot" wrapping each saddle rail as small as possible. At the moment it runs from the point where the buckle is attached to the bag all the way around the side.

Update: the seat post isn't quite a simple pivot point. There's actually two degrees of freedom at work here. In aircraft terms one is roll with the "pivot point" being the saddle rail attachment. The other is yaw with the pivot point being the seat post. To stop one you fix at the other point. I think that's clear!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I found a complete wrap of the straps round the seat rails worked then I looked at the Wildcat website and found I was routing the straps incorrectly. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Mariner wrote:I found a complete wrap of the straps round the seat rails worked then I looked at the Wildcat website and found I was routing the straps incorrectly. :oops:
Ah, cool, I'll see what they suggest..

I think I can see the problem I've got, but I reckon a bit of trial and error..
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Rather than clip the closure straps together use an extra strap between them to go around the seat post and cinch it up tight, thats what I do with an alpkit dry bag and it's solid.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Blair512 wrote:Rather than clip the closure straps together use an extra strap between them to go around the seat post and cinch it up tight, thats what I do with an alpkit dry bag and it's solid.
Can you take a pic of this... :oops: