Tarp Tent

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Tarp Tent

Post by sean_iow »

Having made 2 flat tarps and one with a cat-cut ridge I thought I'd turn the difficulty up to 11 and make a tarp tent. This has a cat-cut ridge and fly edges. I have sized it to suit a commercial net inner so I could have bug protection. I also decided that I wanted an A frame front pole to avoid having a pole in the entrance. The material is the lightest I've worked with yet and unlike the previous silnylon I have used this is also coated both sides. It made sewing it quite hard work due to the slippery nature. I persevered though and this is the end result of 2 Saturdays and a couple of evenings, so factoring in my time it's cost about 2 to 3 times what it would of to have bought one :roll: but mainly I wanted to make one to see if I could.

There are sleeves inside at the top for the poles to go in and similar pockets on the bottom which are attached to the bottom edge with elastic to hold the poles in place whist pitching. The tape across the front is attached with buckles and there are loops on the top so it could be pitched using lines off overhead branches if required and opened out further. There's no zip on the front doors to simplify the sewing and I can just overlap the doors to keen the weather out, well that's the plan but we'll have to see how that works.

It was sized to take a Trekkertent inner (great bit of kit and well impressed with it) which as well as fitting in this I also plan to use under my flat tarp in woodland areas.

All that's left to do now is seal the seams this weekend and then give it a try. The finished outer weighs 433g on my scales with the poles and pegs adding another 216g and 95g respectively. Including the weight of the inner it's 1015g. Not sure where I'm going to use it though. Maybe on trips where I think I might stay on a commercial site as it offers more privacy for changing than a bivi bag and flat tarp :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tarp Tent

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice job Sean :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've pitched it inside out and sealed the seams with silicon diluted down with white spirit. It's been in the sun all afternoon and seems dry to the touch but it's hard to tell as the silicon has a grippy feel to it. Anyone who's sealed thier seams in a similar way, how long did it take to dry?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It does tend to stick to itself a little even when dry. Have you got a little chalk dust / talc you can rub into the seams?
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good idea, I'm sure I can find some little blocks of french chalk from old puncture repair kits, not much use for them in these days of tubeless.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Oh.. If I could sow (sew)... that rhymes. Good job Sean. You're Like Marc's (or is it Eric of TT) little brother.

Tremendous job
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Although... it has been just short of 2 years and no updates... :lol: Did you end up using it (is this what you pitched at the campsite before the HT550 or the other recent ITTs you done
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I have used it several times. When biving locally I don't use it as it's a bit tent-like, obviously :lol: so it looks a bit too much like 'camping' for here, I'm a bit more stealth. But I have used it on the mainland.

I used my Terra Nova at the campsites before events as it's more spacious. It was bought years ago for backpacking with the wife but we've also used it bikepacking. It seems a shame not to use it more often.