Cordless poles.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Cordless poles.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The thinking ... spigots / joints are always the weakest point of a pole. By doing away with the shockcord through the centre, you can increase the strength of the spigot by increasing the wall thickness and even making it solid if you wish. For some people that's fine but others find they can't cope with the loose pole sections when setting their tarp up. Now you can have the best of both worlds.

https://www.facebook.com/bearbonesbikepacking/

... and no, it's not Sooty's wand.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Re: Cordless poles.

Post by GregMay »

And for us non Friendface users?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And for us non Friendface users?
Sorry Greg, I'll get something sorted for the sensible.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here we go, 17 seconds of pure wonderment.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... poles.html
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like that a lot Stu.

How tall could you make a normal carbon pole (i.e. the 100-120cm diameter ones) before it became too flexy or snappable?

Would it get up to 180cm sort of height ok?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How tall could you make a normal carbon pole (i.e. the 100-120cm diameter ones) before it became too flexy or snappable?

Usually once you start to go beyond 150cm, I up the diameters to to 14mm / 12mm. However, I have made Mr Fitz some camper van awning poles which I think were something like 180cm in 12mm / 10mm.

The problem only arises when poles are canted on an angle. Used vertically under compression, there's no force applied to the joints but adding solid spigots provides a big safety margin.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Thanks Stu, 6 years without Friendface and I've zero intention of interacting with it again

Cool idea though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:

Usually once you start to go beyond 150cm, I up the diameters to to 14mm / 12mm. However, I have made Mr Fitz some camper van awning poles which I think were something like 180cm in 12mm / 10mm.

The problem only arises when poles are canted on an angle. Used vertically under compression, there's no force applied to the joints but adding solid spigots provides a big safety margin.
Carbon poles for his camper awning... blimey! ... posh git :grin:

It'll be an upright pole, but need to be sturdyish. It would be for a supermid, I usually use 2 walking poles to pitch it, tied together with paracord and velcro. Don't need the pole for a while, but it's part of my plan for a motorcycle camping trip - would be a nice spacious, quick pitching shelter
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Well the video made me laugh. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well the video made me laugh.
Oi, what's up with it ... I make poles not bloody films* :wink:

*obviously.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

For some reason it made me think of this classic from the archives. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNRpSkTGoA
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

benp1 wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:

Carbon poles for his camper awning... blimey! ... posh git :grin:

It'll be an upright pole, but need to be sturdyish. It would be for a supermid, I usually use 2 walking poles to pitch it, tied together with paracord and velcro. Don't need the pole for a while, but it's part of my plan for a motorcycle camping trip - would be a nice spacious, quick pitching shelter

They are a bit flash. But it means that our entire awning fits in a 5l alpkit bag. A R1g 7 tarp that alpkit sewed a kador strip onto, the poles some 3mm cord and two stakes.

Space is at a premium in our short wheelbase T4 so this sits under the front seat with plenty of space for other bits.