Anti-slip material for saddle pack

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RichinNW

Anti-slip material for saddle pack

Post by RichinNW »

Hi. In an attempt to overcome that swing affect on my next myo saddle pack, I'm trying to track down a supplier of the anti-slip fabric the likes of Apidura and Alpkit use on the contact points with the seat post.

Any suggestions ?
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
sean_iow

Re: Anti-slip material for saddle pack

Post by sean_iow »

When I've needed an anti slip material I've sewn on some patches of old inner tube which seemed to work quite well.

I made a new dry bag for my MYO front harness and on a local test ride it slipped to the side on the rougher bits. I sewed some squares of inner tube on the harness at the location of the straps and the bag stayed put for the whole of the Braunton 150 without having to make any adjustments :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It may not be exactly what you're after, but I often use cohesive bandage (AKA cattle wrap, vet wrap, coflex) wrapped around bars and frame tubes to provide a non-slip surface. It loses its effectiveness eventually (months) but it's cheap enoguh. You can get it off eBay (obviously) but I've also bought it from Superdrug, though it wasn't as good. Other pharmacies probably have it. I've also got some wrapped round the rails of my pannier rack on my commuter.

I've tried inner tube with mixed results.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've found that inner tube only really has one non-slip side which is the outside. The inside is a different finish so when I tried wrapping it around a tube (seatpost) one side of the inner tube still slips and the whole thing moves round. Once it's sewn on with the grippy side out it seems to work much better. It would also seem that not all inner tubes are created equal so I selected the softer/grippier one to cut up. I seem to have a large selection of old punctured tubes to choose from now all my bikes are tubeless.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

Great ! Some good suggestions there. I had also thought of a strip of pvc stitched to the inner face of webbing attachment strap. I'm going to play with the options. Cheers :-bd
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

You can get this sort of non slip matting from the pound shops, I use it in the car to stop parcels sliding about the back seat, it's very effective

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1000_.jpg
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

+1 for innertubes, use em for so much. Agree on one side being grippier than the other but sandpaper lightly roughing it up sorts that.

Also works better sewn in patches than simply wrapped
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I'm struggling to see what you mean - surely if its strapped tightly enough to the saddle rails and seatpost it won't be slipping anyway?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

wfbroddy wrote:You can get this sort of non slip matting from the pound shops, I use it in the car to stop parcels sliding about the back seat, it's very effective

You can get smaller, more durable bits for car dashboards too. Very sticky, definitely no movement.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Look at PlastiDip products for a 'professional finish', and/or spray-on non-slip: https://www.plastidip.co.uk/product/sup ... -spray-can
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Richard G wrote:
wfbroddy wrote:You can get this sort of non slip matting from the pound shops, I use it in the car to stop parcels sliding about the back seat, it's very effective

You can get smaller, more durable bits for car dashboards too. Very sticky, definitely no movement.
You need a faster car with more grip :wink:
drjon

Post by drjon »

i got some hypalon, which is less slippy and also very durable, from a RIB shop...google and there are lods of options in the UK.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I had a go at making my seat pack straps a bit more sticky by painting them with a layer of bog standard (pun intended) bathroom silicone, thinned with white spirit. I've used this before as a seam sealer and it works fairly well.

It looks a bit rubbish because I only had white - clear or black would obviously look a bit neater, but clearly I'm not aiming for looks. It's all going to be brown eventually!

Not sure how well it'll work out, it might just all flake off. The seatpost material is a very rigid, slightly rubberised (but still quite slippy) material and the saddle rail strap is just common or garden webbing. Will report back when I've tested it.