(Another) Framebag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tanglefist

(Another) Framebag

Post by Tanglefist »

I made a framebag from mostly recycled materials (scavenged suitcase) for a friend to use on an upcoming trip to Morocco. The only thing I had to buy were the buckles. If I make another, it will definitely be a lot wider. The material repels water, but I'm sure it's far from waterproof.

ImageIMGP3249 by Court Harding, on Flickr

The buckles put a lot of pressure on the material at the sides, which isn't ideal for opening/closing but at least it's solid, I guess.

ImageIMGP3251 by Court Harding, on Flickr

I included a gap at the top-tube/seat-tube junction. I think it's good to have a grabbing spot for the inevitable hike-a-bike. I put a little cover over the ends of the zippers so they don't rub whilst pedaling.

ImageIMGP3252 by Court Harding, on Flickr

The bottle is held in with 2 adjustable pieces of shock cord - 950ml of water seems stable.

ImageIMGP3246 by Court Harding, on Flickr

A pocket with a Berber symbol, the majority of the people in the Atlas. Hopefully they will find this endearing rather than obnoxious. I like (finally) having a sewing machine.

ImageIMGP3256 by Court Harding, on Flickr

A repair kit held in place withshock cord, containg a buckle, some webbing, thread, a needle and a couple of patches of the same material as the rest of the bag.

ImageIMGP3258 by Court Harding, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Re: (Another) Framebag

Post by ScotRoutes »

I like the thoughtful little touches like a stash for multi-tool and bottle and the space for grabbing the frame.

Not convinced by the buckles though - quite apart from any frame rub, my knock-knees would be bleeding after a few miles :-)
smartay

Post by smartay »

Nice job

Seen a few threads on here made my own gear, do you have an industrial weight sowing machine or using domestic type with suitable needles.

My wife has a Jernome home sowing machine but she doesnt think it would be up to heavier materials cordura etc

So what is everyone using
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

The buckles sit pretty flat, but time will tell.

I'm just using a standard 'Brother' one, but I've not used it on particularly heavyweight materials.