Alternative to Tyvek

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Chew, Taylor

Alternative to Tyvek

Postby lune ranger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Have been working on getting a light shelter set up this year and have been using a Tyvek ground sheet as part of the system.
I'm not happy with it. It's bloody crinkly and noisy for a start and more importantly it's too bloody slippery by far. On anything other than a perfectly level pitch it's like a slide. Not to mention my sleeping mat gets ejected at regular intervals.
What do other folks use?
I'm also considering knocking up a bathtub type floor for added winter protection.
Has anyone done this themselves?
Thanks
lune ranger

Re: Alternative to Tyvek

Postby Bearbonesnorm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 am

You can reduce (but not remove) the slippery / crinkly nature of Tyvek with a trip through the washing machine.

Permavent isn't slippery / crinkly and behaves more like material.
I believe in the right to arm bears!
Bearbonesnorm

Postby RIP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 am

Permavent - not heard of that before, ta. http://www.roofingsuppliesuk.co.uk/pitched-roofs/permavent-breather-membrane-1-5m-x-50m/ - £50. Maybe 25 of us could split it between us, £2 each - bargain :-bd.

Tyvek... washing machine... took mine into the bath with me when I bought it. Got some baffled looks from Mrs Perrin (no change there then) but as you say it did the trick. Trouble is it smells of rose-scented bath oil now :wink:.

Nearly bought one of these bathtubs as per reviewed by Cap'n Bearbones: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/tried-and-tested-trekkertent-bathtub.html but am sticking with my tyvek for the moment. "Bath" and "tub" seem apt words if it's not fully covered by your tarp and a spot of precipitation comes your way in the night.....

R
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ
RIP

Postby AlexGold » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 am

AlexGold

Postby Bearbonesnorm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

Thank you Alex :-bd
I believe in the right to arm bears!
Bearbonesnorm

Postby RIP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 am

"Erm..... http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/s ... =permavent"

Oops! :smile:

Heavier than tyvek of course but looks very impressive. Might try an experimental investment at some suitable point.
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ
RIP

Postby GregMay » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am

I've used one, it works fine. Only use it when I'm unconcerned about pack space though.
GregMay

Postby lune ranger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks. Always knew there would be a use for the washing machine some day. Not as controversial with Mrs Ranger as using the dishwasher for cleaning cassettes either....
lune ranger

Return to MYOG