Westcountry Way

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Robster

Westcountry Way

Post by Robster »

A couple of days riding in the week after Easter to do the Westcountry way. Missing out on doing the WRT so needed a short ride. Got the Girlfriend to drop me down to Plymouth Hoe for 7.30am & was off & riding by 8am.

Headed through Plymouth & up the Plym estuary, along the Plym valley cycle way & up the track to Princetown.
A small all day breakfast at the Foxtor cafe before heading out towards Hexworthy & Down to the West Dart.
Almost Welsh?

Met a couple of bikepackers coming the other way nr Challacomble but must have been feeling the heat as couldn't seem to get my brain working. They did give me a good idea for a bivi spot. Carried on for a mile & then stopped for food & a rest, felt revied!
The miles flew by, the descent in to Chagford is good! Coffee in the Spar & onwards. Fingle Bridge, Toilets unlocked, acres to camp in with beer & chips from the pub. Unless of course it was open for Easter only... Still a lovely spot for a hot chocolate & Double Decker before sleep.
Into the bit between the Moors, lots of lanes, a few bridleways to enjoy.
A beer on the way.
Into Exmoor. Running on nr empty again! Ice cream at Tarr Steps & a little cold damp greyness on top of the moor. Descending to Exford & Curry of the day in the Crown Hotel. Excellent.

More public toliets & bivies close by. Another cold night but some sleep. Up early though...

Early morning Traffic jam!
Up to Dunkery Beacon for 7am.
Yep, another great downhill!
Off the moors & down to Allerford. Just one last climb (Push) to Selworthy Beacon.
Too steep for me!
Finally down to Minehead for 11.30. Buy ticket, buy food, train to nr Taunton & train home.
A fun few days. Cheers Rob

Who were the two going the other way? Phantom bikepackers maybe?
jam bo

Re: Westcountry Way

Post by jam bo »

been meaning to do this for ages, how do you think it would ride the other way round?

I was planning to catch train from plymouth to taunton, ride to minehead via quantocks and then do N-S with a few variants on that route.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

these two?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTov74iAfnb ... adventures
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

nice trip! Keep meaning to do a dartmoor/exmoor coast to coast...
Robster

Post by Robster »

jam bo wrote:been meaning
jam bo wrote:been meaning to do this for ages, how do you think it would ride the other way round?

The route is probably better going from Plymouth to Minehead as the best descents are that way. There is some good riding the other way but you'ld be pushing up some class trails. Plus steam train to Bishops Lydeard, cycle to Taunton & train back, mid afternoon. Approx £15 for the WSR & another £16 for back to Totnes.
jam bo wrote:
these two?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTov74iAfnb ... adventures

Nope, that was this week. It was a man & a woman, touring along. Sounded like they had the right idea.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Good ride out Rob. May have to pinch your route card/GPX (if you have one).

WRT wasn't the same without you. Correctly navigated a few bits we got wrong in 2015. Made things more pleasant!

Catch up soon,

Si