Greensykes bothy overnighter

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Greensykes bothy overnighter

Post by Borderer »

Another wee trip - an overnighter to Greensykes bothy near Eskdalemuir. We arrived to find another cyclist there already, also inspired to make the trip by the bothy bible book. Total of 91.5km round trip (57 miles) it was 37.5km there (23.5 miles) and a tougher 54km (33.5 miles) on the return.

We filled our water bottles at the spring in Roberton.

A wee rest before the long climb out of Howpasley.

We had to lift the bikes over a couple of gates, but this is not a problem now that we are travelling much more lightweight.

The track through Craik forest is a pleasure to ride.

Clear-cutting devastation. Joe said it looked like the zombie apocolypse had just happened.

I made a daft call and attempted a short-cut....

The heather was so deep you could park your bike in it.

That's another fine mess you have got me into Mum..... not one of my better ideas... I had to promise that we wouldn't try this again....

Tickets please.....

Arrived at the bothy as the sun was going down. One other cyclist there already, a very nice young teacher from Hawick.

The rhubarb patch. Bring custard and sugar if you come! Our bothy companion made a fine rhubarb porrige concoction for pudding.

The bothy had a treasure trove of high-calorie snacks, including this unopened tin of shortbread, presumably left over from the working party at the weekend.

Story time by the fire in our room.

The very new-looking stove in the main room. The bothy has three sleeping rooms (including the living room) so you are pretty-much guaranteed a room to yourself to sleep in.

A glorious day dawned and what a fabulous place wake up.

It's a beautiful spot.

It's a wee gem

Cracking weather for the ride home

Crossing the ford on the way to Eskdalemuir

Riding into Samye Ling Bhuddist centre

Stunning golden statues abound.

We hit the tea room, then went on to the temple

Inside the temple

The long climb out of Eskdalemuir. Stunning views.... and others not so much.... just after taking this pic I turned around to see an old woman doing her gardening topless. When she saw us she squeaked and ran indoors. :D

Following the Romans and Reivers route, often along the Roman road that runs through these parts.

Stunning ride through empty country in gorgeous weather. Happy place.

Nearly at the highest point on the return journey.

At the Roman signal station on Craik Cross Hill. All downhill from here.

Long swooping descent into Craik.

Pentangle guitarist John Renbourn's old house. I bought the flat we now live in from his estate after he died. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/ ... preciation

Filling the water bottles again at the last spring before Hawick. Home in time for fish and chips and a hot bath. Knackered in a good way. :)
thenorthwind

Re: Greensykes bothy overnighter

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks top notch! :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have only been to Greensykes once and arrived at 1.30 in the morning after my lights failed on me leaving me walking for hours. A couple with a dog where in residence and of course my arrival set the dog off barking but they were fine about it.
Nice ride, you seem to be getting around a fair bit.
"Short cuts make long delays", J.R.R Tolkien, but I'm sure you know that. Lesson learnt. :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks a cracking Bothy, look forward to passing this on the B350
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks guys. Yes Ray, I am trying to do one of these trips every week at the moment. The weather is so good just now. I must have a closer look at the route of the B350 to see where else it goes.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Had a very nice night in Greensykes last year after being attacked by every midge and cleg in Eskdalemuir. Never ever attempt what looks like a track over Lamblair Knowe, I still have nightmares.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Can't find that on the map, but after our wee soujourn off piste, the boy won't let me try that sort of thing again in a hurry. I thought the firebreak wouldn't be that hard to push through but it is very wild country for sure.